On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 07:11  PM, Marcus Börger wrote:

The real question is why you need mandatory locks and not advisory locks. If everyone is playing on the same team, advisory locks should provide all the semantics you need (and are very portable). Mandatory locks (on linux at least) require not only special mount options, but special perms to the file (g-x, g+s, I believe). That seems like a lot to require inside an extension.
The dba solution so far is based on flock() and where not appropriate use fctnl().
I tried to have the lock stuff working on as many systems as possible.
Right. Both of these are pretty portable, one being present on all BSD-style systems and the other on POSIX systems. They are also advisory locks. Mandatory locks actually prevent read and write calls from _anyone_ else succeeding on that file. On linux, mandatory locks are set with fcntl, but it's not part of the standard POSIX standard.