In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:25:14AM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> Hi, I've got a bunch of fixes for systems which have system libraries in
> /usr/lib64 rather than /usr/lib - these are needed for some upcoming
> 64-bit Linux ports.  These fixes are based on patches from SuSE
> developers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
>
> Should I submit changes to ext/*/config.m4 in bulk or individually?
>
> Here's the first fix to prevent adding /usr/lib64 to LDFLAGS:
[...]
> +    -L/usr/lib|-L/usr/lib/|-L/usr/lib64|-L/usr/lib64/) ;;

Of all the problems I've had using PHP on 64-bit platforms (e.g. bug
#21973, which refers mainly to lib directory naming under commercial
64-bit environments), this was not one of them -- yay.

So I am curious:
 - What is the purpose of having the mechanism to remove or not remove
   /usr/lib (and why not do the same for /lib and other vendor
   directories)?
 - Why do 64-bit Linux operating systems need the special hard-coded
   treatment?
 - Will the same be done for other operating systems?