In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:52:15AM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> /usr/lib64 exists so that you can have 64-bit libraries installed
> alongside 32-bit libraries in /usr/lib - this is a precedent that comes
> from Sun or SGI or somewhere I believe.

Yep, HP-UX does it, too.

> (In fact I think you can get /usr/lib32 as well for some IRIX/MIPS,
> since there are two different flavours of 32-bit ABI)

Sure. Sometimes lib-and-lib32 or lib-and-lib64 or lib-and-lib/sparcv9
or lib-and-lib/pa20_64.

> Adding /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib to the library search path at minimum
> causes a re-ordering of the library search path, which means in some
> circumstances you pick up the wrong versions of libraries.
[...]
> e.g. if you have a libfoo in /usr/lib, but you want to compile against a
> different version you have installed in /home/jim/lib, you start with
> -L/home/jim/lib -lfoo.  If the configure script then adds -L/usr/lib to
> LDFLAGS, you might end up with the system libfoo again, which is wrong.

Sure, my question is whether (and why) /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 should be
preferentially treated.

> On a lib64 system, if you do have the 32-bit libraries installed in
> /usr/lib, but want to compile against the 64-bit libraries in
> /usr/lib64, adding /usr/lib to the library search path breaks everything
> horribly, since you pick up the 32-bit libc etc.

Okay, so 64-bit Linux needs the path hack because it will try and use
32-bit binaries with its 64-bit ABI instead of recognising that the
32-bit binaries cannot be used and skipping over them? Is that what
you're saying?