> Please coordinate with me on streams issues; if some 64bit oses declare
> descriptors as longs rather than ints, then we could have a bigger job
> on our hands (similar to the mess with socket types under win32).

Tru64 & HP-UX (and I would guess Solaris and the rest) - the descriptor is
an int, which is part of the problem because the streams code in 4.3 casts
it wrong.

James sent me a patch that included a cast fix, but I have yet to submit it
(or try too) because I got caught up in trying to follow the code and then
got diverted. I will endevor to finish my look at the patch  and see if Jani
will let me commit it.

Dave