On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 11:30:55 AM UTC+3, Alessandro Pellizzari wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 07:59:16 -0700 (PDT)
> "'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group"
> <php...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > Mailing list has many issues:
> >
> > 1. Really hard to read conversations since everything is cited and
> > different mail clients are doing it differently.
>
> We just need to decide and impose a quoting style, and Netiquette
> already suggests one.
>
> > 2. Everything is a big sticky pile of mud. In a forum we'll be able
> > to have separate categories for separate proposals so it will be
> > **much** easier to focus.
>
> That's what threads are for, and threading capabilities in email
> clients have been there for decades.

Same as forum topics, yes... But how to group all the threads on PSR-7?
That's what subforums are for. It's way better than a current mess.

> > 3. No permissions management. In a forum we'll be able to have a
> > "voting members" group with which has permission to post to voting
> > threads.
>
> We can have a separate mailing list for votes. Or, better, a website.

Actually yes. I have a free evening soon so I'm going to implement website
version of it. If it would be adopted — great. If not, it's fun.

> > 4. Hard to browse history. In a forum it's all structured so
> > it's much easier. No need to dig much.
>
> Again. Threading helps a lot, and many email clients have grouping
> capabilities (static and dynamic), search, tagging.
> In a forum, you are limited by what the forum software gives you.
>
> > These are only the surface, I'm sure other members have their own
> > concerns about mailing lists.
>
> In contrast, forums:
>
> 1. Make it harder to know which articles are new in a
> discussion.

Nope. Every good forum software marks these. Also there's usually a
capability to "Get what's new since my last visit".

> 2. Makes it harder to understand to which message a reply
> refers to.

Same as MLs. I found myself lost about it multiple times.

> 3. Makes it harder and slower to go from one thread to another.

Why?

> 4. Makes it much slower to read sequentially.

Nope. You have all the posts on topic in a single list. Why is it hard to
read sequentially? If you mean globally, why reading sequentially if
messages are about different topics?

> 5. Makes it impossible to mark a thread as read when you are not
> interested.

Wrong. Every forum software has that capability.

> 6. Makes it harder to archive, star, mark, blacklist a message or a
> thread

Most forums have it.

> 7. Makes it hard or impossible to take a part of a discussion in
> private without needing to copy-paste it.

There's "PM with quote" button in most of the forums.

> And probably much more.
>
> My suggestion: if you are not happy with your client software, change
> your client software, don't try to force everybody else to change
> theirs.

I'm not forcing anyone, just suggesting. Also, note that I've suggested
forum software with ML support.

> Bye.

  • Switch to for... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    • Re: Swit... Alessandro Pellizzari
      • Re: ... 'Alexander Makarov' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
        • ... Alessandro Pellizzari
      • Re: ... Carl Wuensche
        • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
          • ... Alessandro Pellizzari
            • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
              • ... Alessandro Pellizzari
                • ... 'scott molinari' via PHP Framework Interoperability Group
                • ... Daniel Plainview
                • ... Amanda Folson
                • ... Paul Jones