On Sat, Oct 21, 2017, at 03:19 PM, Tobias Nyholm wrote:
> Hey.
>
> While reviewing PSR-18 I found a suggestion to make our base exception to
> implement \Throwable. So, should new PSRs support PHP 7 only or do we
> still
> need PHP 5 support?
>
> Like someone said, "PHP5 is dying, just kill it already". I like to agree
> with that. But at the same time, I do not what the guzzle/buzz community
> choose between implementing this PSR or supporting PHP5.
>
> I would like the core committee to give me (and other authors of new
> PSRs)
> a unified recommendation: Should new PSRs support PHP5 or not?
>
> // Tobias Nyholm

Naturally we shouldn't be incompatible with older PHP versions "just
because".  However, at this point in time if a spec would benefit from a
PHP 7.0 feature I fully support using it.  (7.1 is too aggressive, I
think, but 7.0 shouldn't be.)

Scalar and return types are the most likely feature to trigger a PHP 7
dependency since those are the ones that matter most to interfaces, but
in general, yes, if a spec would be better with PHP 7.0 features, use
PHP 7.0 features.  It's 2017, PHP 7 uptake is very good compared to the
PHP 5 transition, and many many major projects either already require
PHP 7 or will within the next year.

--Larry Garfield