That's, actually, my point. Because in coding terms standards are just
interfaces, it takes a very small amount of effort to make them compatible.
If, instead of type-hinting scalars, you just specify the right types in
the docs, that is enough to make a standard. PHP 7 implementations are free
to type-hint in the code, if they need, but this doesn't make the standards
themselves worse by any means.

Also, I agree with you that the majority of WordPress developers are not
using PSR, but I am, and I would argue that a lot of devs are moving to PHP
5.6. In fact, Joost de Valk has created a whole movement
<https://yoast.com/whipping-your-hosting-into-shape/>, pushing other devs
to switch. I try to do my best to make platform-agnostic packages, and
therefore it's kind of important that WP devs have the possibility of
writing PSR-compatible code.