i have created an example with freeflarum service, using the tag extension,
posting / replying can be restricted to board members on specific tags such
PSR Discussions and RFC.

https://fig.freeflarum.com/

IMO its way much better and more efficient than google groups, the modern
UI makes it look more welcoming for people to get involved