Hi Daniel,

Le 2020-08-12 à 02:09, daniel...@gmail.com a écrit :
Hi,

GitHub is more than server with repositories, it's a social network
for developers.

And even if discussions sound like not the main feature of GitHub,
it have way more abilities in formatting texts, voting, etc.

The problem isn't that discussions are not GitHub's main feature. The problem is that [to my knowledge] GitHub does not offer discussion forums.

Example of discussion there: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1218
Quite readable, isn't it?

It may be readable, but that is not a discussion, that is what GitHub calls a "pull request". This seems to be some cryptic designation for code change integration proposals, and the reason why it looks like a discussion is that the first tab of the "pull request" visualization page is the Conversation tab, which shows comments about the visualized proposal.

There would be no way to have a meta-discussion like this one on GitHub to my knowledge. If you like GitHub so much and want it to replace general mailing lists like this one, I recommend you start by adding a forum engine to GitHub.

But then comes Creel and states: "To that end, please start a thread on the mailing list to discuss it,".
Author of PhpStan replied perfectly:

> Hi, I was already participating in the PSR-5 draft discussion and I found out that discussions
> about tech specs over mailing lists are not my cup of tea
> and I have other things with higher priority in my life :)

But you can create just empty repository with single file README.md and discuss everything there if moving to normal forum engine like https://github.community is a so huge problem, that
you can't fix it several years.

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 3:19:22 AM UTC+3 che...@gmail.com wrote:

    Hi Daniel,

    Le 2020-08-11 à 11:06, daniel...@gmail.com a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I noticed that many people really dislike this mailing list.
    There are
    > many reasons:
    >
    > * PHP community wants to see your GitHub profiles, be more open;
    > * no sane highlighting of the code (for discussions about code);
    > * very obsolete messaging system in general: it's like plain
    text vs
    > native GUI;
    > * lack of on mailing lists: emoji system as voting mechanism for
    > simple voting and for hot discussions where someone asks reasonable
    > question, but it drowns and nobody sees it (on GitHub it's hard to
    > avoid question with many 👍 signs);
    > * GitHub offers diffs for edited comments;
    > * moderators can tag issues there;
    > * mailing-list gives worse feedback by PHP community; don't be bad
    > politicians: that's good when you have better feedback.
    >
    > This question was raised not a once if I recall correctly: you
    planned
    > to move somewhere like a modern forum.
    >
    > Why separate repository in the https://github.com/php-fig group
    can't
    > be simple solution?

    I do not know GitHub much, but I do not understand your suggestion. A
    GitHub repository is designed to store code, not discussions (nor
    voting, nor politics).

    > [...]

-- Philippe Cloutier
    http://www.philippecloutier.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PHP Framework Interoperability Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to php-fig+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:php-fig+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/2720dd1c-4585-48e4-b496-09138a0686e0n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/2720dd1c-4585-48e4-b496-09138a0686e0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.