Adam,

I know I don't chime in much here on the message boards, but I wanted to
drop in and say hello, not necessarily in an official capacity but just as
a developer in the community who's been a long-time follower of the FIG and
the PSR standards.

I very much understand the feeling of being up against a monolithic entity
where it seems hard to get a word in edgewise or get your foot in the door.
A lot of us feel this way when contributing to projects larger than our
own, and for me personally, the fear of getting a negative response is what
has kept me from submitting many contributions upstream to the projects my
own software depends on. That feeling is real and valid, and it's
imperative for the larger institutions to do what they can to remain
approachable despite their size and momentum.

In that context, there's nothing at all wrong with submitting ideas to the
group here. Your ideas aren't without precedent, either, since I've seen
numerous implementers of the PSR standards lump them together into singular
libraries that cover multiple standards at once or extend the standards to
be easier to use in their own context. By all accounts, even if your
repositories didn't wind up as FIG standards themselves, they could
continue to exist as standalone code and would likely be useful to a number
of people looking to implement the combined standards in a friendly way.

I also agree with Michelle in that it is unfortunate you were met with a
response that you felt patronized your contributions. It's important that
any interactions with participants in the FIG process be respectful and
professional. By that same token, however, I'm not sure that messages like:

> Larry, if two others here would second and third your opinion, I will
explain why you are wrong.

...convey that level of respectfulness or professionalism either.

I think the friction you're feeling with the FIG group doesn't stem from
the content of your suggestions themselves, but rather the manner in which
you presented them, which was in the form of a GitHub organization named
"PHP-SG" with standards that presented as numbered "PSR"s.

What does "PHP-SG" stand for? Absent any clarifying information on my side,
and given the organization's only contents are these new "PSR" standards,
I'd have to assume it stands for something like "PHP Standards Group".

So, you've submitted your ideas here through an organization that may or
may not imply its own status as a standards group, using the same
terminology the FIG uses for its own recommendations, which have been
refined and polished through group collaboration into their final forms.

Surely you see the reason for any pushback you're feeling here.

I know your response thus far has been that the phrase "PSR" is a generic
one and that your own "PSRs" aren't popular enough from an SEO perspective
to compete with the official ones. To the second point, I think most of the
folks here would argue that it isn't your project's relative popularity
that is the problem, but rather the precedent that is set when anyone who
proposes an idea to the PHP-FIG spins up their own organization, creates
repositories and assigns their own FIG numbers to their own code. This
would be an immensely confusing mess in very short order, and would leave a
hundred repositories scattered across GitHub at varying stages of
completion or stability that are all named "PSR-something". Even if
developers weren't likely to find those repositories first, the idea that
they would find them at all, and then associate them with the same process
that the existing PSRs they're familiar with have gone through, is cause
for concern.

To your point that the phrase "PSR" is generic, I would be inclined to
agree if there was any prior art whatsoever that suggested that was the
case. If you ask people from all around the PHP community what a PSR is, I
would wager that *all* of the ones who know the term would direct you to
one of the PHP-FIG standards. The PHP core team uses a different name for
their own proposals, and none of the popular frameworks out there (even the
ones who don't necessarily adhere to the PSR standards) have made their own
standards and called them "PSRs". This is basically a first, so that's why
you're seeing such a strong pushback on the concept, because nobody
involved wants to set the precedent that you can make your own PSRs when
submitting ideas to the FIG, or in general.

So, really the long and short of it here is it's all in the naming. If you
can understand where the FIG is coming from in that regard, then we may be
able to move forward in a productive way.

 - Buster Neece