Sam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when I use IE, and do a phpinfo()
>
> The variable
> HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE displays en-gb (for english GB)
>
> But Netscape only displays en...
>
> The problem is, is that I want to know where visitors to my site are coming
> from i.e. UK, US, Australia, so that I can do a bit of php so that the
> relevant information is produced.

IE is installed on Windows. In all Windows installations you set your
language and country, and I bet that IE knows its way around the
registry to compose a correct language string and send it to you.
Finally IE is only used on Windows.

Though you can set the same info in Unix it is probably so that
Netscapes encodes only the language you use in the interface, or the one
used while downloading the program, or something similar. Obviously it
doesn't go to the same lengths as IE to extract the needed information.

> Is there anyway to do this, using php?

Probably, but not using the info here. You can look up which block an IP
address belongs to and then find out which country this is in. (Try
www.ripe.org and siblings for more info on this). That's probably the
only consistent (and costly in network time/parsing) method, and I
wouldn't rely on it either...

--
Paul K Egell-Johnsen
Utvikler/PR Manager