php-general Digest 15 Jan 2001 02:33:14 -0000 Issue 455

Topics (messages 34471 through 34539):

Problems sending to several recipients with mail() using WIN NT and Apache
        34471 by: Trond Straume

PHP vs JSP
        34472 by: hsmith.twilyt.com
        34473 by: Cal Evans
        34479 by: Phil Driscoll
        34513 by: Donald Goodwill
        34514 by: Donald Goodwill
        34523 by: Alex Black
        34539 by: bard

debugging php
        34474 by: mOrP

Ad management system
        34475 by: Ahmed

Two little questions
        34476 by: James, Yz
        34478 by: mOrP
        34480 by: James, Yz
        34481 by: mOrP

filemtime or getlastmod
        34477 by: Christian Binder
        34485 by: Christian Reiniger

O Reilly PHP conference
        34482 by: Dallas Kropka
        34483 by: Rasmus Lerdorf

compiling PHP with jpeg-support
        34484 by: Joakim Bomelin
        34494 by: Rasmus Lerdorf
        34496 by: Joakim Bomelin
        34497 by: Rasmus Lerdorf

Quotes
        34486 by: rodrigo
        34488 by: James Moore
        34489 by: Philip Olson
        34492 by: Chris Adams

Re: PHP vs. qmail
        34487 by: Tino Hendricks

Re: load balancing with php/apache?
        34490 by: jeremy brand
        34491 by: jeremy brand
        34527 by: Alex Black
        34528 by: Alex Black
        34530 by: Alex Black

Zend IDE
        34493 by: n e t b r a i n

Re: Templates
        34495 by: Michael Kimsal
        34525 by: Alex Black

submit opens two windows/pages
        34498 by: Tom Beidler
        34502 by: Cal Evans

variable size limit?
        34499 by: Andrew Threlfall

Netscape differences?
        34500 by: Joel Dossey

template API for standard PHP
        34501 by: Maciek Uhlig

Searching a MySQL database?
        34503 by: James, Yz
        34506 by: Toby Butzon
        34507 by: James, Yz
        34509 by: Toby Butzon
        34510 by: James, Yz

Another q, this time eregi_replace
        34504 by: James, Yz
        34505 by: Maciek Uhlig
        34508 by: James, Yz

using ssh via popen
        34511 by: Julia A . Case
        34517 by: Jeff P

Re: session cookie authentication
        34512 by: Jason Murray

Re: file checking
        34515 by: Philip M. Gollucci

Re: SMs
        34516 by: Iván Sánchez Ortega \"MR\"
        34518 by: Josh G

DocBook Editors?
        34519 by: Alex Black
        34522 by: Rasmus Lerdorf
        34532 by: Alex Black
        34536 by: Rasmus Lerdorf

PHP Schedule
        34520 by: Gabor Gludovatz
        34521 by: Jason Murray

Re: logging page views, which method is better????
        34524 by: Alex Black

Re: mixing HTML and PHP code
        34526 by: Alex Black
        34531 by: Alex Black

Re: Use <?= instead of <%=
        34529 by: Alex Black
        34534 by: Philip Olson
        34535 by: Brian Clark

variable tracking overview
        34533 by: Larry Jaques

eval() function
        34537 by: Adam Powell
        34538 by: Rasmus Lerdorf

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi!

I'm using Apache 1.3.14 on WIN NT, and can't send mail to more than one
recipient using the PHP-mail command.

I've checked php.ini, and everything seems to be fine...

This is an example that won't work (but should have worked..?)

mail("[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]","subject","content");

This one however turns out fine:

mail("[EMAIL PROTECTED]","subject","content");

I have also tried to "manipulate" the header with "cc:", but no copy
arrives, only the one in the "to:" field.

Any suggestions?

Trond Straume

Hi all

I'm busy working on a contract .. and we need to do some web based stuff .. but the
client is intent on using jsp and not PHP.
Is there somewhere where I can get good comparists between the two pro and cons etc
etc ..

I would much rather use PHP  then JSP for the development

Thanks
Henti Smith

Greetings Henti,

While I personally prefer working I PHP after having just finished leading a
team of developers on a large JSP project, I would advise you to use the
technologies that your client is most comfortable with. Especially if they
understand that it will cost more and are willing to pay the extra.

It is my experience that while JSP is more powerful, you pay for that power
in development time.  Since the Java API is so broad, you sometimes have to
hunt around for a while to find the right commands to do the job.  PHP will
do 75% of the job, do it fast enough to please most clients and developers
can usually do it quicker in PHP.

Does your client have overriding technical concerns about PHP?
Do they have specific reasons why they are insisting on Java? (technical or
otherwise?)

I worked a job once where we had to deploy Solaris on Sun HW just because it
was in the medical industry and the client did not feel that Linux would be
accepted.  It did not matter that it would eventually cost the client over 1
million on HW just to do the job. (We could have distributed a lot of low
cost Linux boxes, done the same job for about 1/3 of that)

Bottom line is some people just don' get it. If you want the contract then I
would go JSP.  If you don't want' it/need it, walk away.

Cal
http://wwww.calevans.com

I'm busy working on a contract .. and we need to do some web based stuff ..
but the client is intent on using jsp and not PHP.
Is there somewhere where I can get good comparists between the two pro and
cons etc etc ..

I would much rather use PHP  then JSP for the development

Thanks
Henti Smith

>I'm busy working on a contract .. and we need to do some web based stuff ..
but the client is intent on using jsp and not PHP.
>Is there somewhere where I can get good comparists between the two pro and
cons etc etc ..
Try
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/script-survey/?dwzone=linux-
web
Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll
Dial Solutions

There is an interesting ZD Net comparison of several
scripting languages at
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/linux/0,12249,2646052,00.html
Some time ago I did the comparison of JSP to PHP and
JSP turned out to be much, much slower.

Now I'm just learning CodeCharge generator and so far
it seems really helpful. I even started redoing one
project from scratch using it. Maybe surprise your
client and create both PHP and JSP versions...

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

There is an interesting ZD Net comparison of several
scripting languages at
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/linux/0,12249,2646052,00.html
Some time ago I did the comparison of JSP to PHP and
JSP turned out to be much, much slower.

Now I'm just learning CodeCharge generator and so far
it seems really helpful. I even started redoing one
project from scratch using it. Maybe surprise your
client and create both PHP and JSP versions...

> I'm busy working on a contract .. and we need to do
some web based
stuff
.. but the client is intent on using jsp and not PHP.
> Is there somewhere where I can get good comparists
between the two
pro and
cons etc etc ..

> I would much rather use PHP  then JSP for the
development

> Thanks
> Henti Smith

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/linux/0,12249,2646052,00.html

gah:

"Also, any organization doing clustering or failover with PHP is in largely
uncharted waters. "

what _bull_!

what does loadbalancing and clustering have to do with any scripting
language? this guy is obviously one of those dilettantes that things CFML is
the holy grail :P

anyway, that article is wrong, _except_ the part about JSP:
-slow
-extremely time consuming
-friggin annoying :)

I've worked on a couple of projects with JSP, and decided to use PHP to
build binarycloud. 'nuff said :)

_alex

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald Goodwill)
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 14 Jan 2001 15:13:12 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] PHP vs JSP
>
> There is an interesting ZD Net comparison of several
> scripting languages at
> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/linux/0,12249,2646052,00.html
> Some time ago I did the comparison of JSP to PHP and
> JSP turned out to be much, much slower.
>
> Now I'm just learning CodeCharge generator and so far
> it seems really helpful. I even started redoing one
> project from scratch using it. Maybe surprise your
> client and create both PHP and JSP versions...

ok, that's ONCE today.. =)

hello,

i need to debug php. usually i do this by using my own-written
debugger-class where i can turn off all output with a simple change of the
"on" variable.

well nevertheless now i need to trace the status and value of a variable
during runtime. this is impossible with this class. so i tried to use the
php debugger (php.ini: debugger.enabled =       True).

this leeds to some problems:
- what is a good tcp-listener (i tried tcpdump, but this gives to much
output)
- the debugger doesn't work: the command debugger_on("localhost"); leads to
the error-message shown below:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: debugger_on() in index.php on line
2

... and the manual says, that the debugger is still under development.

does anyone know, how to debug php-scripts?

thanx for your help,

mOrP

Hi all,
    I think this is a repeated question but I need to get the best out of
it.
I am looking for an open source Ad management system, like PHPAds but
includes advanced targeting capabilities and advanced features like setting
a frequency cap on the number of impressions each visitors views for each
Ad, entering image series, allowing rich media ads, and allowing to host
many sites and many advertisers while only supplying a simple tag to the
sites to host the ads, in brief something like DART of doubleclick or
Adforce, of course I will not find all their feature for free, but anything
even near them out there ?

Thanks
Ahmed

OK, this will be laughably easy for you guys.

I want to write a function (until now, I have been heavily repeating code,
but it's time to trim everything down.)

The function basically needs to check that username and password have been
entered, and then check them against mysql data.  All I am unsure of is the
format for the function...  is it like this:

function CUP (
    if ((!$alias) || (!$password)) {
        header("Location: login.php");
        exit;
    }
);

And reference it later with CUP(); ?  Don't worry about the MySQL side of
things, I just need to know how to lay out the function.  Oh and if I can
put anything I want in the function.

Also, if I wanted to perform a search of a column in a mysql table for
"places", would the Syntax be something like this:

$sql = " SELECT * FROM table_name
            WHERE place = LIKE \"$searched_word\" ";

?

Thanks in Advance,

James.

James,

> function CUP (
>     if ((!$alias) || (!$password)) {
>         header("Location: login.php");
>         exit;
>     }
> );

usually a function has the following structure:

of course you can put any whitspace inside:

function <name> ( <arguments> )
{
        <code>
}

which makes it easy to read.

You can put anything you want inside a function, but you must know, that you
cannot directly access a variable, that is defined outside the function.

$name = "mOrP";

function print_name()
{
        echo $name;
}

print_name();

will not work.

Then you must 'get' the global variables (like $name):

$name = "mOrP";

function print_name()
{
        global $name;
        echo $name;
}

print_name();

But it's better to work with the function arguments:

$name = "mOrP"

function print_name($name_arg)
{
        echo $name_arg;
}

print_name($name);

notice, that there is no ";" behind the { ... } and the ( ... ) block in the
definition of the function.

Hope it helps,

mOrP.

> Then you must 'get' the global variables (like $name):
>
> $name = "mOrP";
>
> function print_name()
> {
> global $name;
> echo $name;
> }
>
> print_name();
>

> But it's better to work with the function arguments:
>
> $name = "mOrP"
>
> function print_name($name_arg)
> {
> echo $name_arg;
> }
>
> print_name($name);

Ah, I see, so would something like this work:

$alias = "James";
$password = "MyPassword";

function check_alias_password($alias_arg, $password_arg)
    {
        if ((!$alias_arg) || (!$password_arg)) {
            header("Location: login.php");
            exit;

check_alias_password($alias, $password);

or

function check_alias_password()
    global $alias, $password;
    {
        if ((!$alias) || (!$password)) {
            header("Location: login.php");
            exit;

check_alias_password();

work? Or would the last example need to be globals (variables) instead of
global?

> Hope it helps,

It does, and your help is greatly appreciated ;)

James.

> function check_alias_password()
>     global $alias, $password;

better:

        global $alias;
        global $password;

>     {
>         if ((!$alias) || (!$password)) {
>             header("Location: login.php");
>             exit;
>         }
>     }
>
> check_alias_password();
>
> work? Or would the last example need to be globals (variables) instead of
> global?

Yes, this will work - with the correction I've made, 'cause I'm not sure, if
you can assign two variables to 'global'...

But you can see, that it is not good to use the 'global' keyword, because
you must know the name of the variable, you use.

Look:

$name_1 = "Jan";
$name_2 = "Fritz";

function print_name($name_arg)
{
        echo $name_arg;
}

print_name($name_1);
print_name($name_2);

You see, how flexible it is...

CU
mOrP

Hello,

I would like to create a dynamic mulitple-choise - Form, in which the
filenames, included in a subdirectory (e.g. imgstand) are listed as the
Option-vale "value" and the modification-date of the file is shown in
the HTML-page as date for selection of the user.

If a user choise one or more values form the form and press the
"Submit-Button", the script "show.phtml" should show the selected
pictures. This runs very well at this time.

The only problem is, that my following script only shows one date (IMO:
of the first value (.)), and not create the date of each file.

My Developing-System is Winnt/Apache/PHP3x but the www.server is
linux/PHP4.x of course !

The error is on both systems the same.

Who can help ?

Thank`s

Here is my phtml-Page and the included script:
----------------------------------

 <head>
content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
                <title>sachstandseite</title>
        </head>

width="100%">

<FORM name="pictures" method=POST action="show.phtml">
<?
$handle=opendir('imgstand'); // Name of the subdirectory, where the
files are
while ($dvzinhalt=readdir($handle))
{
$datei[]= "$dvzinhalt";
}
?>
<select name='selection[]'  multiple size=<?printf(count($datei))
// for multipleselection-counter
?>>
<?

for ($i=0; $i<count($datei); $i++)
{
// "value" should be the filename for the array selection[] to
show.phtml
echo "<OPTION value=$datei[$i]>";
// get unix-timestamp form each file in subdirectory
$unixdatum=getlastmod($datei[$i]);
// change date for normal people
$datum=date("j. F Y", $unixdatum);
echo "$datum";
     }
     ?>
</FORM>

On Sunday 14 January 2001 17:54, Christian Binder wrote:

> The only problem is, that my following script only shows one date (IMO:
> of the first value (.)), and not create the date of each file.

> // get unix-timestamp form each file in subdirectory
> $unixdatum=getlastmod($datei[$i]);

Read again through the getlastmod() docs. That function returns the
modification time of the *currently executed PHP script*.
Use filemtime() instead and it will work

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

Install once, run forever. Linux.

Posted on the home page of PHP.net is a blurb about an open source PHP
conference.... where can I find information regarding signup for this??? I
see nothing posted on the site... and found nothing at O Reilly???

It's still 6 months away.  Attendee registration is not open yet.  Right
now we are just looking for speakers.

-Rasmus

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Dallas Kropka wrote:

> Posted on the home page of PHP.net is a blurb about an open source PHP
> conference.... where can I find information regarding signup for this??? I
> see nothing posted on the site... and found nothing at O Reilly???

Hi.
I'm trying to compile PHP with jpeg-support, but it doesn't seem to work.
my configure-line looks like this: "./configure
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-ldap --with-mysql --with-gd
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png --with-zlib --with-ttf" and when I run it I
get:
checking for libjpeg (needed by gd-1.8+)... yes
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
checking for gdImageCreateFromJpeg in -lgd... no

imagePng() and imagettftext() is working, so PNG and Freetype is compiled
in. imageJpeg(), how ever, does NOT work.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem?

/Joakim

Your GD library probably wasn't compiled with jpeg support.

-Rasmus

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Joakim Bomelin wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm trying to compile PHP with jpeg-support, but it doesn't seem to work.
> my configure-line looks like this: "./configure
> --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-ldap --with-mysql --with-gd
> --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png --with-zlib --with-ttf" and when I run it I
> get:
> checking for libjpeg (needed by gd-1.8+)... yes
> checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
> checking for gdImageCreateFromJpeg in -lgd... no
>
> imagePng() and imagettftext() is working, so PNG and Freetype is compiled
> in. imageJpeg(), how ever, does NOT work.
>
> Any ideas on how I can solve this problem?
>
> /Joakim

>Your GD library probably wasn't compiled with jpeg support.

When I try to use gdImageJpeg() in a C program I get no errors. Is there a
way of telling wheter GD has jpeg support or not?

/Joakim

nm -o libgd.a | grep -i jpeg

Triple-check that you don't have multiple versions of libgd.a on your
system.

-Rasmus

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Joakim Bomelin wrote:

> >Your GD library probably wasn't compiled with jpeg support.
>
> When I try to use gdImageJpeg() in a C program I get no errors. Is there a
> way of telling wheter GD has jpeg support or not?
>
> /Joakim

I recently came across this problem and I am sure that there is a quick
fix for it. I need a solution to the quotes problem when sending
queries. I use single quotes to construct my SQL queries. This worked
fine since the data entered into the DB was all in spanish.

However, yesterday I was typing in an English name that had a single
quote (say, like O'reilly) and the SQL querie was all wrong.

What is the solution to this? Thanks in advance.
--
************************************
Ivan R. Quintero E.* (507)228-3477

addslashes()

James
--
James Moore
PHP Quality Assurance Team

Look into functions stripslashes() and addslashes() as well as the setting
magic_quotes_gpc :

 http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.addslashes.php

 http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.magic-quotes-gpc

But quite simple, addslashes($foo); will addslashes before the quotes
within $foo which will put it into the database nicely.  If you have
magic_quotes_gpc on then this should be automatic (see manual for when).

Philip

On 14 Jan 2001 10:38:12 -0800, rodrigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>However, yesterday I was typing in an English name that had a single
>quote (say, like O'reilly) and the SQL querie was all wrong.

You need to escape the special characters (' becomes '' or \' depending on
database flavor). PHP's built-in addslashes() function does this nicely. If
your database complains about something addslashes() doesn't catch, there may
also be a db-specific function like mysql_escape_string() which ensures that
the string is safe to use in a query.

Hi Nicklas,

sorry, I do not have an answer to your question, but I was wondering if you
could give me a short hint on how to trigger the execution of a PHP-Script
if a mail arrives for a non-existing _mailbox_ (instead of the domain-thing
in your question).

Thank you very much in advance!

Tino

www.interpool.de

Like I said, we use our own.  It is home grown, but not opensource --
sorry, if it was my choice it would be ;)

Jeremy

Jeremy Brand :: Sr. Software Engineer :: 408-245-9058 :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.JeremyBrand.com/Jeremy/Brand/Jeremy_Brand.html for more
Get your own Free, Private email at http://www.smackdown.com/
   "<body>"   -- Quoted from Yahoo! homepage, http://www.yahoo.com

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:49:03 +0530 (IST)
> From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: jeremy brand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [PHP] load balancing with php/apache?
>
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, jeremy brand wrote:
>
> > Oh, BTW, we don't use PHP sessions, we use our own.
> That has got me hooked - what do you use?
> do you mean you dont use
> 1) PHP4 sessions
> OR
> 2) don't use PHP for session handling at all?
>
> Tarique

>        B2B Application Providers
>         http://www.sanisoft.com
>  Vortal for Nagpur http://nagpurcity.net

unfortunately not because it is not opensource.  I did want to make it
clear that sessions is a gereric word.  Thus, when it is said, it
shouldn't be mis-understood as to be PHP Sessions, which obviously is
not a generic word.

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Cal Evans wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:26:46 -0600
> From: Cal Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], jeremy brand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [PHP] load balancing with php/apache?
>
> I agree. You've piqued my curiosity.  Can you go into details?
>
> Cal
> http://wwww.calevans.com

what?

you use an utterly completely stateless model?

craziness!

so you set cookies, and store the sig in the db?

agh! :)

I'm using this box from "coyote systems" called, wait for it:

"THE EQUALIZER"

which is a really obnoxious name, but it sticks clients with a particular
server intelligently, so we can be ever-so-slightly-lazy about that.

do you _like_ that system? (that isn't a challenge, it's real interest)

_a

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeremy brand)
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 13 Jan 2001 13:41:19 -0800
> Subject: RE: [PHP] load balancing with php/apache?
>
> we store the sessions in the DB.
>
> Jeremy Brand :: Sr. Software Engineer :: 408-245-9058 :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.JeremyBrand.com/Jeremy/Brand/Jeremy_Brand.html for more
> Get your own Free, Private email at http://www.smackdown.com/
> "<body>"   -- Quoted from Yahoo! homepage, http://www.yahoo.com
>
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Cal Evans wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:43:19 -0600
>> From: Cal Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: jeremy brand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: RE: [PHP] load balancing with php/apache?
>>
>> When you say "handled by us" do you mean you:
>>
>> 1) Write the sess_* files to a shared drive
>> 2) Store them in the database
>> 3) ignore them totally, who needs users anyhow?
>> 4) some other option?
>>
>> Cal
>> http://www.calevans.com

amen brother.

-a

check out

http://www.coyotepoint.com/

only $4000!

does 512 clients!

can even stick clients through the famous AOHell proxies!

cheap!

:)

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeremy brand)
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 13 Jan 2001 12:16:09 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] load balancing with php/apache?
>
>>> We use LVS on our website - it works great! We have 2 load balancers with
>>> the
>>> HA package and 6 PHP webservers running behind it (with a central DB
>>> server).
>>
>> Yes, I have heard very good things about LVS.  Haven't had a chance to set
>> it up myself yet.  Definitely something for the TODO list.
>
> LVS with linux-ha is a win-win situation.  Even if you loose a LVS,
> the failover is transparent. The connections hang for about 5-15
> seconds, then transfer over to the other machine.
>
> With the traffic that we have, we opted to use direct
> routing, this way there is no translation (thus no additional CPU on
> the LVS machine) needed for the answers; the web servers talk directly
> back to the client themselves.
>
> We were planning on using Local Directors, then cost became a major
> issue.  I'm actually glad we did it this way, because personally I
> like envesting my knowledge in open solutions rather than learning
> proprietary OSs and strategies.
>
> Jeremy
>
> Jeremy Brand :: Sr. Software Engineer :: 408-245-9058 :: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.JeremyBrand.com/Jeremy/Brand/Jeremy_Brand.html for more
> Get your own Free, Private email at http://www.smackdown.com/

Hi all,
anyone know something more about the future Zend IDE? e.g price, etc ..

many thanks in advance
max

Not too similar to the caching issue of template output -
I maybe missing something, but at least in our case, *every* page
made with templates has custom info re: the client (name, etc) which
can't, imo, be cached, unless we started caching multiple bits of the templates
then assembling them - potentially lots more disk access than we'd want.

We *do* cache query results for queries that we know will have
similar results for a long time ('customers not on credit hold' for example -
for one client in particular the results of this query would only change daily, as
they only updated 'credit hold' info daily, so we cache this for a few hours, saving
db hits).

andrew wrote:

> Yup, I believe so - I've been wrestling with this idea for a while and
> trying to figure out how to integrate it into the parser explained in a
> PHPBuilder Article on Cached Modules:
>
> http://www.phpbuilder.net/columns/jprins20000201.php3
>
> In the above, I think the point is to create little block templates on a
> page, that can essentially return html.  Now, the article mostly covers how
> to cache this for peformance reasons, but integrating FastTemplates with it
> in the manner below makes sense.
>
> Are you doing something similar?
>
> regards,
> andrew

well, I suppose it could, but it's pretty weird...

why would you want to directly hook up presentation w/sql queries ? :)

-a

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (andrew)
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 13 Jan 2001 17:06:48 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] Templates
>
> Sure,
>
> My understanding of templating engines
> 1.array or item is assigned to a variable
> 2.php placeholders in a html page match in name to above variable.
> 3.a parser separate from php subsitutes the variable values set in (1)
> into (2)
>
> I've seen plenty of examples where there is a file containing lists of
> variable to item assignment, and thase files are passed to a one of a few
> template pages for layout.
>
> There must be a way to pass the result set of an SQL query into the set of
> placeholders - the end result would be that you could call whole sites via
> simple queries. All you have to pass in would be the SQL parameter.
>
> i.e. Table named 'Pvalues'
>
> Pvalues                 Sample Row
> ----                    ------
> page_id                 contactus.html
> page_name               Contact Us
> page_title              Contact US
> header_text             Please send an email
> body_text               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> footer_text             thanks!
>

> You can even generate a list of links dynamically for nav bar via:
>
> "select page_name, page_id from Pvalues", if you account for performance
> issues.
>
> If the usre clicks on the "contact us" link, it returns a page_id value of
> contactus.html.  So then:
>
> "select * from Pvalues where page_id = "contactus.html"
>
> Then call a templating parser and pass it the values of the select statement
> and which template to use.
>
> Can this be done, or I am way off base on this?
>
> regards,
> andrew
>

> On 1/13/01 7:27 PM, "Michael Kimsal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I thought I understood your question, but I think I need a clarification.
>> Can you elaborate a bit?  I think I have an answer, but I'm not 100% what
>> you're meaning here.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> andrew wrote:
>>
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Wouldn't a benefit be that you could pass a database query in via that
>>> variable, either via form submit or value of a clicked link?
>>>
>>> I know PHP can do this without a separate templating engine, but if you do
>>> use one then you can submit an array to a specific template.  Is there a way
>>> to do this via built in functions without constructing the set of page
>>> object's first, or can you only do this in templates?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> andrew

Is there a way to have two windows open after a submit. I have a client that
would like to add a "thank you" pop up window after submitting an order. So
after entering there billing info and hitting the submit button the form is
directed to a summary page that summarizes the sale. I would also like a pop
up or junior window to open.

Thanks for any assistance,
Tom

>>.>>.>>>.>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>
Tom Beidler
Orbit Tech Services
805.455.7119 (cell)
805.682.8972 (phone)
805.682.5833 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>.>>.>>>.>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>

I'd do it with JavaScript. Dynamically composed JavaScript if need be. But
it seems to me that it would be easier to do this on the client side.

Cal
http://www.calevans.com

Is there a way to have two windows open after a submit. I have a client that
would like to add a "thank you" pop up window after submitting an order. So
after entering there billing info and hitting the submit button the form is
directed to a summary page that summarizes the sale. I would also like a pop
up or junior window to open.

Thanks for any assistance,
Tom

>>.>>.>>>.>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>
Tom Beidler
Orbit Tech Services
805.455.7119 (cell)
805.682.8972 (phone)
805.682.5833 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>.>>.>>>.>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>

I'm generating a page of HTML by reading an entire page of HTML source into
a variable, and then doing various functions and str_replace on the
variable.

However when I finialy write this out to a file the variable containing the
HTML source is truncated, at about 5800-ish bytes.

Is there a limit of the amount of data a variable can store? Or is there a
better way to manipulate the text in file?

Thanks

--
Andrew

Greetings,
I have a php script that generates a random image. All
images are kept in a mysql table. It works fine when
viewed by IE, but Netscape, and Lynx, always show the
same image. The database information, however, is
changed as it should be (correctly incrementing the
times seen column for the image), and on refresh all
information goes as it should, except for randomly
selecting an image.
 This may be an apache caching problem, but I was
wondering if anyone has run into this working with php
in general, and what solutions I need to explore.

Thanks much,
Joel Dossey

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

In Tobias Ratschiller & Till Gerken book (Web Application Development....)
the authors mention at least two times about Andrei Zmievski plan to
incorporate template API in standard PHP.

I'd like to ask if the plan is in the works and if it will be implemented.

Maciek

Can anyone tell me what I would use to query a MySQL database in a search?

If the search field, was for example, a variable like "town", would the
results page use something like this? :

$sql = " SELECT * FROM table_name
        WHERE towns = \"$town\" ";

I remember seeing someone post something like this:

$sql = " SELECT * FROM table_name
        WHERE towns LIKE \"$town\" ";

so if the search word is not EXACTLY like a row in the database, it may
return results to partial words.

Thanks in advance,

James.

You've basically got it... the advantage of LIKE is that you can add
wildcards to specify what can be different...

towns = '$town'
...and...
towns LIKE '$town'

...are essentially the same without the % wildcard character. Thus,

towns = '$town'
...is much different than...
towns LIKE '%$town%'

--Toby

> You've basically got it... the advantage of LIKE is that you can add
> wildcards to specify what can be different...
>
> towns = '$town'
> ...and...
> towns LIKE '$town'
>
> ...are essentially the same without the % wildcard character. Thus,
>
> towns = '$town'
> ...is much different than...
> towns LIKE '%$town%'

How different are they?  I'm not even sure what a wildcard is....?

And thanks ;)

James.

> > towns = '$town'
> > ...and...
> > towns LIKE '$town'
> >
> > ...are essentially the same without the % wildcard character. Thus,
> >
> > towns = '$town'
> > ...is much different than...
> > towns LIKE '%$town%'
>
> How different are they?  I'm not even sure what a wildcard is....?

A wildcard is a character that can be used to represent any character (or
any set of any character). For instance, on many operating systems the *
wildcard represents what you could call "anything". So * is anything from
the empty string ('') to anything ('Toby Butzon'). '*zon', however, would
match only strings ending in 'zon'; thus, 'Toby Butzon' would match but
'Joe Smith' would not.

In SQL, the % symbol is used as the * wildcard.

Consider the following:
(id) bases
-------------
(1) Ft. Worth
(2) Ft. Benning

Here are some queries of the above table with their results....
bases='Ft. Worth' returns record 1
bases LIKE '%Worth%' returns record 1
bases LIKE '%Ft.%' returns 1 & 2
bases LIKE '%' returns all records (in this case, 1 & 2)

See?

> And thanks ;)

Of course.

--Toby

> Here are some queries of the above table with their results....
> bases='Ft. Worth' returns record 1
> bases LIKE '%Worth%' returns record 1
> bases LIKE '%Ft.%' returns 1 & 2
> bases LIKE '%' returns all records (in this case, 1 & 2)
>
> See?

That makes perfect sense.  Thank you!

I'd like to be able to trim out some html tags, but only certain ones.  I've
used eregi_replace before and have some replacements running on some
scripts...

Some of the help pages and user notes on the quick reference functions have
given me good examples of how to go about it.  One thing I'm interested in,
though, is the syntax that's used to determine what the link URL is and the
link name...  I think I saw it as:

//0 for the URL and then //1 for the link.....  Like this (poor code, I
dunno whether I've even got the right delimiters):

eregi_replace("/<a href=\"//0\"/>//1/<//a/>\","//1",$string);

I'd like to strip out everything but the link name, so if someone inputs:

It replaces it with:

PHP!

Thanks, again.  I seem to be asking a lot of questions today, hehe ;)

James.

check http://www.php.net/strip_tags

Sweet!  Thanks ;)

> > I'd like to strip out everything but the link name, so if someone
inputs:

> > It replaces it with:
> >
> > PHP!

Can anyone shed any light on why the following code doesn't work?  I'm
trying to interact with ssh through PHP's popen function.

Julia

<?php

function maxpsi($d) {
   $fp = popen("/usr/bin/ssh -l julie summit.magenet.com", "w");
   while ($string = fgets($fp,80)) {
      echo $string;
   }
   pclose($fp);
}

echo "running ssh<BR>";

maxpsi(0);

?>

--
[  Julia Anne Case  ] [        Ships are safe inside the harbor,       ]
[Programmer at large] [      but is that what ships are really for.    ]

probably because ssh requires an interactive
login; i.e. it expects STDIN as well.  try adding
a command after the login parameter such as "ls"
and see what you get.

-jeff

> Can anyone shed any light on why the following code doesn't work?  I'm
> trying to interact with ssh through PHP's popen function.
>
> Julia
>
> <?php
>
> function maxpsi($d) {
>    $fp = popen("/usr/bin/ssh -l julie summit.magenet.com", "w");
>    while ($string = fgets($fp,80)) {
>       echo $string;
>    }
>    pclose($fp);
> }
>
> echo "running ssh<BR>";
>
> maxpsi(0);
>
> ?>
>

> is it possible to write a script that can screen scrape a
> site that uses session cookies for authentication? the reasoning
> for this is so that i can add check boxes to a list so i can reset
> more then one port on my isp router at a time. thanks

You could have cURL make POST and GET requests to the remote server,
show headers (thus displaying the cookies), and parse the output
so that you can find the cookie values in your script.

cURL: http://curl.haxx.se/

Jason

--
Jason Murray
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PHP has a function called file_exits I belive... you can read about it on
the php manual at php.net  under file functions.

Philip M. Gollucci (p6m7g8)
Web-site    : http://www.p6m7g8.com
E-mail      : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone       : 301.249.6261 (Home)
              301.314.3118 (College)
Major       : Computer Science
              Electrical Engineering
Minor       : Classical & Jazz Performance
Current Job : Science, Discovery, & the Universe Webmaster
Resume      : http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gollucci/resume.html

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Huseyin wrote:

> i am trying to write a function that checks the file to see if it is still
> availabla to download
> if not it will return link is broken
> this is what i have
> if(!($connection = @fopen ($row[url], "r"))) {
> $broken=1;}
> else {
> $broken=0;
> }
> but the problem is that it sometimes display broken link even thoug it is
> not
> if someone can help me thats wonderful
> thanks in advance

""Bastian"" ...
> Hello!
>
> A requirement is a special server that sends them, but such a server costs
> money, every message costs some.

I read somewhere that you could send SMs if you had your mobile phone linked
to your computer, and special software to needful to make the PC-mobile
interaction...

That way, you could send SMs by your mobile phone... but they should cost as
if you were sending them.

yeah you can do that, don't know about other phones, but for nokia
you need the cable, a phone with the appropriate plugs (ie a 5xx0 /
6xx0 / 7xx0 / 9xx0 model phone, not a 8xx0 or 3xx0 model), and
the nokia data suite or free alternative if they exist for your operating
system.

Gfunk

       My name was Brian McGee,
       I stayed up listening to Queen,
       When I was seventeen.

http://www.gfunk007.com/

> > A requirement is a special server that sends them, but such a server
costs
> > money, every message costs some.
>
> I read somewhere that you could send SMs if you had your mobile phone
linked
> to your computer, and special software to needful to make the PC-mobile
> interaction...
>
> That way, you could send SMs by your mobile phone... but they should cost
as
> if you were sending them.

hi all,

anyone found a good graphical SGML editor for any platform that's no a
fortune?

http://www.adobe.com/store/products/framemakersgml.html

It would be really annoying to have to write a bunch of documentation for
binarycloud inside an plaintext xml document.

I'm surprised DocBook has gained so much support given the apparent lack of
good tools for authoring.

?

_alex

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

A lot of technical people aren't keen on WYSIWYG editors.  Especially when
dealing with something like docbook that is designed to generate
documentation in dozens of formats.  vim with its syntax colouring or
emacs with its validation mode really do a good job.  I have been writing
a lot of docbook stuff lately for work and I find I am an order of
magnitude more productive than I ever was using something like Word.

-Rasmus

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Alex Black wrote:

> hi all,
>
> anyone found a good graphical SGML editor for any platform that's no a
> fortune?
>
> http://www.adobe.com/store/products/framemakersgml.html
>
> It would be really annoying to have to write a bunch of documentation for
> binarycloud inside an plaintext xml document.
>
> I'm surprised DocBook has gained so much support given the apparent lack of
> good tools for authoring.
>
> ?
>
> _alex
>

> --
> Alex Black, Head Monkey
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> The Turing Studio, Inc.
> http://www.turingstudio.com
>
> vox+510.666.0074
> fax+510.666.0093
>
> Saul Zaentz Film Center
> 2600 Tenth St Suite 433
> Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> A lot of technical people aren't keen on WYSIWYG editors.  Especially when

I'm technical, and I'm not looking for WYSIWYG. I'm looking for something
that doesn't require me to memorize yet another large set of tags. :)

> dealing with something like docbook that is designed to generate
> documentation in dozens of formats.  vim with its syntax colouring or
> emacs with its validation mode really do a good job.  I have been writing
> a lot of docbook stuff lately for work and I find I am an order of
> magnitude more productive than I ever was using something like Word.

Well, word is a terrible example being a terrible app, especially for
structured content.

Nothing?

No options?

No SGML editors out there with a tag catalog, etc?

and yes, WYSINWYG = what you see is _never_ what you get

_a

> -Rasmus
>
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Alex Black wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>>
>> anyone found a good graphical SGML editor for any platform that's no a
>> fortune?
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/store/products/framemakersgml.html
>>
>> It would be really annoying to have to write a bunch of documentation for
>> binarycloud inside an plaintext xml document.
>>
>> I'm surprised DocBook has gained so much support given the apparent lack of
>> good tools for authoring.
>>
>> ?
>>
>> _alex
>>

>> --
>> Alex Black, Head Monkey
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> The Turing Studio, Inc.
>> http://www.turingstudio.com
>>
>> vox+510.666.0074
>> fax+510.666.0093
>>
>> Saul Zaentz Film Center
>> 2600 Tenth St Suite 433
>> Berkeley, CA 94710-2522
>>

>> --
>> To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> No options?
>
> No SGML editors out there with a tag catalog, etc?

Emacs

Hi,

I have to write a schedule program, for which I need the following:
I have to calculate the date from a given week and vice versa.

For example: the week number is 26, and I have to know which was its first
day (the date, not the day of the week), say 06/21/2001, monday.

Thanks to Bignose, I've found a very interesting FAQ, the Calendar FAQ but
even this FAQ couldn't help me.

--
 Gabor Gludovatz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.sopron.hu/~ggabor/

> I have to write a schedule program, for which I need the following:
> I have to calculate the date from a given week and vice versa.
>
> For example: the week number is 26, and I have to know which
> was its first day (the date, not the day of the week), say 06/21/2001,
> monday.

If the week number is 26, then thats 26 x 7 = 182 days into the year.

$unixtime = mktime(0, 0, 1, 1, 182, 2001); // January 182, 2001.
$dayofweek = date("l", $unixtime);

Somehow I think that this isn't *quite* what you were getting at,
though - but maybe it'll help.

Jason
(since this was a PHP solution, I've taken the Debian ml off the response)

--
Jason Murray
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Design Team, Melbourne IT
Fetch the comfy chair!

the problem with that is as soon as you run a load-baanced installation,
collecting apache logs start to be a pain in the a$$ :)

I have given some thought to the logging thing, but am still undecided re:
letting apache do its thing, and writing scripts to aggregate the logs, or
turning off apache logging and going to the DB.

problem is this puts an annoying amount of stress on the production DB, so
there you have it, the dilemma :)

-a

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 14 Jan 2001 01:58:33 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] logging page views, which method is better????
>
> Addressed to: "Dallas Kropka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ** Reply to note from "Dallas Kropka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sun, 14 Jan 2001
> 00:57:10 -0600
>>

>> I have a large site, with several hundred pages.... its a product
>> listing and shopping cart.... and I want to log my page views.... I
>> receive an average of 3000 hits per minute.
>>
>> Is it better (faster) to log my views to a database table? or to a
>> flat file?
>

> No need to re-invent the wheel, all accesses are already being logged.
>

> If you are using Apache, take a look at the access log.  Every hit to
> the server is already logged there.  I am not sure what the default
> location for the file is, but you can find it with
>
> locate access_log
>
> or by looking for the string  Log  in your httpd.conf file.  I believe
> it may appear under either the AccessLog or CustomLog keywords.
>
> You might want to look at Webalizer, or a couple of other programs to
> analyze the contents.
>
> http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/
>
> There are others, but this is the one I use.
>

> Rick Widmer
> Internet Marketing Specialists
> http://www.developersdesk.com

the horse is back from the dead!

I can't resist:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Iván Sánchez Ortega \"MR\"")
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 13 Jan 2001 14:17:35 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] mixing HTML and PHP code
>
> "Alex Black" ...
>>> <?
>>> connect_to_database();
>>> parse_query();
>>> execute_query();
>>>
>>> echo "<TABLE>";
>>>
>>> while (fetch_row_from_query())
>>> {
>>> $output = data_from_fetched_row();
>>> $more_output = more_data_from_fetched_row();
>>>
>>> echo "<TR><TD> $output </TD><TD> $more_output </TD></TR>";
>>>
>>> }
>>> echo "</TABLE>";
>>> ?>
>>
>> Well, this may be a bit specific, but that is probably part of your
> problem.
>> You have no structure associated with your application design:
>>
>> what are you doing making a connection to a database on the same page you
>> spit out the results from?
>
> Nonononono... that was just an example. My real code looks more like this
> example:
>
> -------------
> <?
> include "common_head.php";
>
> echo "<SPAN CLASS='title'>Welcome to blah blah section</SPAN>";
>
> echo "<TABLE><TR><TD>Name</TD><TD>Email</TD></TR>";
>
> $query=ociparse($conection,"select name,email from people where blah blah
> blah");
> ociexecute($query);
> while (ocifetch($query))
> {
> $name=ociresult($query,"NAME");
> $email=ociresult($query,"EMAIL");
>
> echo "<TR><TD>$name</TD><TD>$email</TD></TR>";
>
> }
>
> ocifreecursor($query);   // optional
>

> include "common_footer.php";
> ?>
> --------------
>

> In common_head.php i have the conect-to-database functions, and because the
> way include() works, i can happily use $connection in the main code. It also
> makes a login&password comprobation, getting data from cookies and the
> stuff.
> common_head.php also has a main component: the UPPER WEB DESIGN. That means
> that the upper logo, left-side menus, CSS links, common javascript code and
> stuff is also stored there.
>
> common_footer just has the bottom part of the design - bottom common links,
> and lots of well measured </TABLE> closings.
>
> The trick is tell the web designer to work the main common design in
> dreamweaver or so, then pick the HTML code, and separate it in "upper" and
> "bottom"... in the middle of that you have the space to put whatever you are
> spitting out from the DB.
>
> And aside from that, i don't have a one and only common_head.php ... i have
> a separate plain common head, in plain HTML... the real common_head.php
> should look like (definitively not real PHP sintax):

right, and though this is not directly related to templating:

I thik you would benefit greatly by introducing some system design (i.e.
separate "layers" doing separate tasks)

I don't like to do database connections when I've already output markup,
what if something goes wrong, or I want to do a redirect, etc?

I like to access functions in "DB Object" files - those functions return
results in arrays which I can pass into markup.

Makes the code a _helluvuh_ lot more maintainable.

> ------------
> <?
> connect_to_database();
> do_cookie_stuff();       // First of spitting any HTML,
> // you get from cookies, make comprobations,
> // and re-store cookies or whatever...
> // This do_cookie_stuff can be a little hard.
>
> include "plain_html_head.php";
> ?>
> ----------------
>

> That way, your dreamweaver expert can design the main design (better with
> some stupid test text in the place of the spitted-out-from-database-data),
> and you as PHPer only have to cut out the HTML code (not a really hard work)
> into two parts.
>
> As i see, it can work perfectly this way.
>

> How you format the spitted data and stuff is another matter.... but anyway,
> getting the code that dreamweaver generates and implementing it shouldn't be
> a real hard task.

True, but why not just bitch at macromedia until they include support for
PHP in ultradev?

(plegh, visual authoring tools: a necessary evil)

:)

_a

> There are things that can be done to speed things up though...cacheing files
> at the page level, or even cacheing templated components at the sub-page
> level where possible can overcome much of the overhead of using templates.

but that doesn't do you any good on pages that are getting results from a
DB, unless you're doing straight content queries. in which case, why not
just use a cache in front of your webservers that filters urls?

oh, and for good measure, tim:

"binarycloud"

b i n a r y c l o u d

binrcld

I believe that's three times :)

_a

can people give me opinions as to why <?= is so bad?

me = love : <?=

:)

_a

--
Alex Black, Head Monkey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Turing Studio, Inc.
http://www.turingstudio.com

vox+510.666.0074
fax+510.666.0093

Saul Zaentz Film Center
2600 Tenth St Suite 433
Berkeley, CA 94710-2522

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Olson)
> Newsgroups: php.general
> Date: 13 Jan 2001 12:18:08 -0800
> Subject: Re: [PHP] Use <?= instead of <%=
>
> My understanding is :
>
> 1. <?= is essentially php4+ specific
> 2. Will not work if short_tags_open setting is off (in php.ini) because of
> the fact that <? is a short tag.
>
> Regarding its relation to the ASP counterpart, it is not directly related
> to <%= as that is an ASP tag which refers to the asp_tags setting which if
> on, <%= will work, if not on, it will not.  Information and references to
> this can be found here :
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/language.basic-syntax.php
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.asp-tags
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.short-open-tag
>
> I've personally never tried asp tags.  Earlier within this thread , the
> following php internals were posted by Jim Winstead :
>
> http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4
> http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.7
>
> All in all, if others will be playing with your scripts, don't use asp
> style as usually this is usually turned off.  Use of <?= is mildly
> dangerous (and debated, my view is 'bad') to use given the reasons above.
>

> Philip Olson
> http://www.cornado.com/
>
> On 13 Jan 2001, Arcady Genkin wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that <?= works just as well as <%=.  Since this is not
>> in documentation, how safe is it to use it?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> --
>> Arcady Genkin
>> Don't read everything you believe.
>>
>> --
>> To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> can people give me opinions as to why <?= is so bad?

  a. PHP4 specific
  b. Many do not know what it is / what it does
  c. Will not work when short_tags are disabled
  d. Does not follow PEAR standards (ed. guess)
  e. Looks funny / weird / out of place (opinion)

Those are my personal reasons.

Philip

--
Philip Olson
http://www.cornado.com/

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Alex Black wrote:

> can people give me opinions as to why <?= is so bad?
>
> me = love : <?=
>
> :)
>
> _a
>

> --
> Alex Black, Head Monkey
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> The Turing Studio, Inc.
> http://www.turingstudio.com
>
> vox+510.666.0074
> fax+510.666.0093
>
> Saul Zaentz Film Center
> 2600 Tenth St Suite 433
> Berkeley, CA 94710-2522
>

> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Olson)
> > Newsgroups: php.general
> > Date: 13 Jan 2001 12:18:08 -0800
> > Subject: Re: [PHP] Use <?= instead of <%=
> >
> > My understanding is :
> >
> > 1. <?= is essentially php4+ specific
> > 2. Will not work if short_tags_open setting is off (in php.ini) because of
> > the fact that <? is a short tag.
> >
> > Regarding its relation to the ASP counterpart, it is not directly related
> > to <%= as that is an ASP tag which refers to the asp_tags setting which if
> > on, <%= will work, if not on, it will not.  Information and references to
> > this can be found here :
> >
> > http://www.php.net/manual/language.basic-syntax.php
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.asp-tags
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.short-open-tag
> >
> > I've personally never tried asp tags.  Earlier within this thread , the
> > following php internals were posted by Jim Winstead :
> >
> > http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4
> > http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/php3/language-scanner.lex.diff?r1=1.6&r2=1.7
> >
> > All in all, if others will be playing with your scripts, don't use asp
> > style as usually this is usually turned off.  Use of <?= is mildly
> > dangerous (and debated, my view is 'bad') to use given the reasons above.
> >

> > Philip Olson
> > http://www.cornado.com/
> >
> > On 13 Jan 2001, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> >
> >> I have noticed that <?= works just as well as <%=.  Since this is not
> >> in documentation, how safe is it to use it?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> --
> >> Arcady Genkin
> >> Don't read everything you believe.
> >>
> >> --
> >> To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>

> > --

Hello Alex,

(AB == "Alex Black") [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

AB> can people give me opinions as to why <?= is so bad?

It's not, unless you care if your code functions on any server, using
any version of PHP.

>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Olson)
>> Newsgroups: php.general
>> Date: 13 Jan 2001 12:18:08 -0800
>> Subject: Re: [PHP] Use <?= instead of <%=
>>
>> My understanding is :
>>
>> 1. <?= is essentially php4+ specific

-Brian

Could someone give/sell me a clue as to variable tracking and/or cookie
usage over multiple form pages
for multiple users?

Environment: website
Number of variables: 390 or so.
I have 4 pages of forms, 4 result pages, and want to email all the results.
I put up one page of forms, they input, it spits the output to the result
page.
Each input/output works fine until the final output which comes up totally
empty.

This session tracking code (hopefully) heads the input pages
<?
if (!isset($id)) {
srand((double)microtime()*1000000);
$randval = rand();
setcookie("id",$randval,time()+14400,"/",".mywebpage.com",0);
}

?>

It is shown as echo "Your session number is $id"; which shows up on every
page except the first.

If I link the email output page to the first input page form, it outputs
the INFO SENT
html page and the email with all of the page info, so that part is working.
It just doesn't
track across several forms and if two people are logged in concurrently,
the same
session id number is used for both users.  Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

What am I missing here?

Should I be creating a database for this one-time-use info?

(Of course, the client dragged his feet for 5 months and now needs to get
it rolling
yesterday. I would appreciate any help ASAP.)

Thanks.

Larry

Hi, in my application I am making a lot of use of the eval() function,
however I was wondering if this is going to cause any extra load.  Does it
do anything like load in the PHP engine again or anything?  We just added it
in and the load on our web servers went up... so I was wondering if I should
be aware of anything.

Thanks,
Adam

Yes, eval() is expensive.