Hi Herb,

PHP is wonderful.  Regarding any upgrade issues, check out :

    http://www.php.net/FAQ.php#11
    http://www.php.net/version4/migration.php
    http://www.opendeveloper.org/PHP/HowTo/Upgrading_From_PHP3_to_PHP4/

AFAIK, it *won't* cause problems upgrading.  Do be sure to parse the
current extension though (i.e. be sure to keep .php3 within httpd.conf)
For information on all this check out :

    http://www.e-gineer.com/instructions/
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.php

Doing it at 3am is suggested and giving users some warning just in case
:-)  Regarding learning php, there are some main sites to consider for
learing :

    http://www.devshed.com/
    http://www.phpbuilder.com/
    http://www.zend.com/
    http://php.faqts.com/

There are others (and others).  Like for instance :

    http://php.faqts.com/
    http://www.thickbook.com/
    http://www.weberdev.com/
    http://www.google.com/
    http://www.google.com/
    http://www.google.com/

Regarding books, the wrox books are popular, check them out.  The php
site lists books and by purchasing there money goes to PHP effort, list
is here :

    http://www.php.net/books.php

And you will need to know SQL, here is a basic tutorial :

    http://www.sqlcourse.com/

And if you want to know my favorite php tutorial that I wish all php users
would consider and print out it is as follows :

    http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/using-strings.php

And remember, practise makes perfect this is so very true.  Nobody is
perfect and we've all written crappy code in the past (and present) so
it's okay.  And, nobody memorizes the manual, keep this in mind.  It's a
reference/tool.  It is very valuable and contains many useful friendly
examples.  At least skimming through it and working the examples through
(if not code, at least in head and say to self "ahhhhh, that makes sense")
it is important as in the future when one wants to do something the brain
will think "hmm, I've read about this once before" and thus one searches
the manual and finds.  Also, searching the mailing list is very important,
use one or two specific words that are sure to exist in question.  It is
okay to ask questions but odds are someone else has asked a similar
question in past,  an archive is found here (google also keeps this
archive!!!):

It is very useful to add this and php site to browser "command line" and
instruction on this can be found here :

    http://www.php.net/tips.php

That's what comes to mind at this point, hopefully this rambling email
makes sense.  Just remember, start small.   Build an addressbook.  After
that, add features to it like make sure user inputs real data (not blank
(empty), is x characters in length (strlen) or is an email address (ereg).
Then make users name in addressbook apear with First Letter Capitalized
(ucwords) and so on, so forth.  Also, be sure to research, it is very
useful to do. If one wants to do something odds are there is a function to
do it or a function was created to help do it.  For scripts, look here :

    http://www.hotscripts.com/
    http://px.sklar.com/
    http://www.freshmeat.net/
    http://www.sourceforge.net/

And through all that all will be good.  This now concludes this post,
good luck!

Philip

--
Philip Olson