Karl,

I suggest Ultraedit (on the PC) at http://www.ultraedit.com.  I use it along
side Dreamweaver with good results and good organization.  Ultraedit (out of
the box) does not know about PHP; you configure it with one of the several
wordlist files and then you will have syntax highlighting.  I try to use
Dreamweaver to organize and FTP the files back and forth from server to
workstation.  However, I have frequently used the built in FTP Load/Save
ability in Ultraedit; This is a great timesaver.

All of this is besides the point if you already know another editor like
Emacs where finding a PHP mode in that editor will get you going full speed
in less time.

Still, an editor is just an editor so I will suggest at least looking at
Ultraedit.  If you have any problems configuring the wordlist (a tedious
task) please feel free to email me off list and I will help you as best I
can.

Regards.
John