From: Brian White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 5:03 PM
Subject: [PHP] XML Processing Instruction ( was " <? PHP vs. <?" )

At 10:50 AM 1/19/12 +0200, Teodor Cimpoesu wrote:

>I was refering to whole story of using `<?' in xml docs.
>
>-- teodor

The "<?"...">" construct comes from SGML/XML - it is called a
"Processing Instruction"(PI). It's general purpose is to allow
application to leave pieces of information in the XML that
aren't strictly part of the content but allow it to help
process it. Classic use of it to put in page formatting
information into content ( pagebreaks, page no's etc ) that is
only relevant to the paper production system.

Part of the problems is that multiple different applications
can use PI's, so they need to be able to tell which ones are
their's - therefore the first thing that should go in a PI
is some kind of indication as to which application requires
it.

Therefore: Always "<?php" is a much better idea than "<?"

Regs

Brian White
Brian White
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd - SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]