Angus Mann wrote:

> At 22:35 18/01/01 -0800, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> >You would need to go through a web server for it to work.
>
> I seem to recall seeing something on the Zend site a while back about a
> "compiler" for PHP that was in the pipeline. After the store was launched I
> can't find anything. Am I imagining things, or does it look like Zend
> pulled the plug? Did anyone else in here see it? :)

The Compiler underwent a name change only... It's now called the
Encoder. The reason is because, well, a compiler implies a
translation from source text to machine code as well as
a required process to allow that source text to be executable.
So the Encoder is not a compiler per se... Even when it
was called the Compiler it wasn't one, because you don't need
one for PHP. People thought that you did, and so to avoid
confusion and misconceptions the name was changed.

PS: I'm also [EMAIL PROTECTED]