I have a question that may seem kind of silly, but I'm curious...

When using PHP why would one use "var" to define a variable as opposed to
just regularly creating it?

For example, if I have a class defined as below:
<pre>
class Simple {
   var $a;

   function Simple() {
     $this->a = 5;
   }

   function first() {
     return $this->a;

</pre>

This class, when created, sets the variable $a to 5, and the function first
returns the value in $a.... my question is could I omit the var and still
have it function in this fashion? What is the purpose of it?

Also, can I access this variable through the same -> convention, i.e. would
the following be allowed?
<pre>
$test = new Simple();
echo $test->a;