As much as reading a book is helpful in getting you started really quick, I
was able to do most of my learning by taking a simple "web page on a
template" script, studying the syntax, and trying to improve it, keeping the
language reference nearby for the stuff I didn't know. After a couple weeks,
I had a good idea what all the functions did and only needed the reference
to look up the syntax... Now I can code most of the functions I need from my
head, and I didn't have to spend a single cent. (Sorry, book authors...)