Hello All!

Sorry for this off-topic posting but this is extremely important for me.

I need a php script to be called each time my email mailbox recieves a new email
message. One way is to have a cron job running and get the php script to check my
mailbox every few minutes to see if there are any new emails and do the needfull if
there is one.

But I guess that there should be a way for the mail server to initiate some action
based on the reciept of a new mail in a particular mailbox. I don't think trhat sites
like Yahoo and Hotmail use cron jobs to sense new emails in a user's mailbox. Another
possibility might be that the checking is being done every few minutes by the client
application.

if anyone has any idea about the methodology being followed by Yahoo and Hotmail,
please be kind enough to pass it on. If anyone is aware of a mail server otr a
mailserver addin which would enable automatic notification and initiaition of script
on the reciept of a new email, please pass the info on.

I am on Redhat 6.2 with cyrus as my mail server and am using PHP4.

Thanks in advance

Ankur Verma
HCL Technologies
A1CD, Sector 16,