On Wed,  7 Feb 2001 14:14, SED wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to do this right:
>
> I have this text file:
>
>       date 1 | head 1 | text 1
>       date 2 | head 2 | text 2
>       date 3 | head 3 | text 3
>
> And I want to display in a HTML-page like this:
>
>       date 1
>       head 1
>       text 1
>       date 2
>       head 2
>       text 2
>       date 3
>       head 3
>       text 3
>
> And I'm trying to do it with follwing code:
>
> //sniped
> 39>   while (list ($line_num, $line) = each ($contentlines))
> 40>   {
> 41>           $message = explode ("|", $line);
> 42>
> 43>           while (list ($date, $head, $text) = each($message))
> 44>           {
> 45>                   echo "$date, $head, $text<br>";
> 46>           };
> 47>   };
> //sniped
>
> But I get this result:
>
>       Warning: Undefined offset: 2 in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\read_txt_0007.php on
> line 43
>

> Can anyone point me to a solution for this?
>
> Regards,
> Sumarlidi Einar Dadason

List returns a key and value for each element in the array on which it
operates. The array that you get from

$message = explode ("|", $line)

will be something like
KEY    VALUE
0      date1
1      head1
2      text1

with spaces around the text (which you may want to chop()) so you need
something like
41>             $message = explode ("|", $line);
42>
43>             while (list (, $value) = each($message))
44>             {
45>                     echo "chop($value)<br>";
46>             };
The comma in Line 43 is important!

Alternatively, you could use str_replace to change the ' | ' (that's space
pipe space) to <BR>

Cheers
--
David Robley                        | WEBMASTER & Mail List Admin
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES  | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/