If you search archives you'll find some blody battles on this kind of
issues,

there are some slight differences but work both well and are very similar in
performance - so this is the question of style. You see,  Professional PHP
Programming was written by 5 young guys (including Sascha) and that is why
the yprobably coulnd't stick to one single style : couse they have some deep
preferences.

Anyway, "<?php" , "<?" are quite same too, except that php3 used to have
"<?php" while older versions use mainly "<?", this is just about
compatibility.

}; and } same things, it should be }; but the parser was then simplified to
understand } and so everyone uses this.

just like :

if($me && $you)
// is same as:
if($me and $you)

if($me || $you)
// is same as:
if($me or $you)

or like

$var = 1;
if($var) {
   echo $var;
}
else {
  echo 'Var is not set, sorry';
}

// is equal to

$var = 1;

echo $var ? $var : 'Var is not set, sorry';

It is generally all about your style,

Cheers,
Maxim Maletsky