From: Matt McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 10:16 AM
To: Dan Harrington
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] imagecolorallocate / imagesetpixel / palette size?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 01:40:11AM -0700, Dan Harrington wrote:

(snip)

> Its like the "palette" only holds 256 pixels or something, what's
> the deal with that?
>
> Anyone experienced this before?  I've looked through the GD library
> documentation
> at boutell.com, i've looked through php.net, and every search engine on
the
> internet, and I can't seem to find out what is going on.

You're right, the palette only holds 256 colors.  The reason for this
is that GD was originally written for GIFs only.  JPEGs were added on
later, and then PNGs were put in as a drop-in replacement for GIFs
(Patent issues).  But the library was never extended to support high
color.

If you're using Unix, one alternative could be php_imlib.

http://mmcc.cx/php_imlib/

Matt