Dan Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > Furthermore, Jonathan stated that he didn't "break into" your
> > system - you left phpMyAdmin *wide* open, which is frankly
> > asking for trouble. Imagine how much fun you'd have had if
> > someone with *malicious* intent had found it.
>
> --in the physical world, if a door is left unlocked, even ajar a couple
> inches, the physical act of pushing the door open so that one can enter
> the door is defined as "breaking and entering".
>
> "Harmlessly" pushing an unlocked door open, and walking in and writing on
> a whiteboard "Gangstaboy was here" is just as much of a crime as
> unauthorizedly logging into a machine, no matter how "wide open" it is,
> even if "harm" is not done.

I will freely admit I have seen and peeked into "wide open" websites in the
past, either through server misconfiguration or faulty scripts. But I have
never gone much further than maybe figuring out what was wrong and sending
an email to the owner. Most people are pretty receptive if you just send
them a kindly worded email.

--
Rick Hodger