> Perhaps I'm missing something.  In order to access the value of any
> variable defined outside the scope of the function, you have to declare
> it as "global".  This is true in every single instance.  If you do not,
then
> you cannot access the value of that variable.  While it's been a while
> since I've worked with C, I seem to recall it being the case there as
> well.  And in Pascal.  And in VB.  Again, it's been a while so I could be
> wrong (but don't think so).

Not realy.  In most languages, heck , all I can think of, the variable's
scope is simply dependant on WHERE it was declared, not how it was declared.
If in C/C++ you define a variable outside the scope of any function, then it
becomes global and can be accessed by any function.

I'm not arguing one side or the other, just stating :) I personally find the
PHP way a bit annoiying, but its workable, and i'm SURE there was a reason
for it.  Just not sure what that reason was :)

- John Vanderbeck
- Admin, GameDesign