> Rasmus wrote:
>  >I swore I would not have the same problem in PHP and thus the
requirement
>  >for people to be explicit about using global variables inside functions.
>  >Hopefully it also forces a little bit of structure and organization on
>  >people.
>
> Hear, hear and thank you Rasmus. It seems to me that the several other
ways
> folks have listed to solve this one example indicates that we don't really
> need the temporary convenience of wide open globals (temporary as in it
> doesn't end up very convenient when they create problems).

I was always tought very simply, don't use globals :)

However, that isn't always an option.  I have no problems with the way PHP
does things.  I think its a good idea for the shelter. What I find
interesting is that it seems when you are first learning a language, you use
more globals, than when you are more experienced with it.  When I first
started programmig in C, 99% of my variables were global.  Look at any of my
C/C++ code nowadays, over 10 years later, and you will be hard pressed to
find a global.

PHP is still new to me, so i'm still trying to use alot of globals.  Because
of the way PHP handles it, i'm jumping through a few hoops.  That is
annoying, but I don't consider it a problem, because as I get better, I know
I will go back through and rewrite things to not use globals.  I guess my
confusion is this: I am passing all my variables around between scripts by
sending them through the URLs (index.php?mode=index).  I guess what "annoys"
me, is I would expect those to be available from inside the functions, but
they aren't.

- John Vanderbeck
- Admin, GameDesign