Joe,

I believe that the concept of the Zend Cache shows the contrary. It
basically pre-parses scripts and stores them in memory. Zend.com give
figures up to 603% performance increase
(http://www.zend.com/cguidemo/benchmark_frame.html). Part of this
certainly is due to less disk access, the other part is the time that is
saved in parsing the scripts. So, for a heavily-used application, the
overhead in parsing code that is not needed is all but minimal.

Ben