i had a very similar problem when i first setup PHP/Apache
on my linux box... i forgot to add a line to my httpd.conf
and got all sorts of "Cant find this" "Cant find that" type
of errors....

my mistake was that i did not set ScriptAlias and Action
correctly, and thus apache was having all sorts of
problems executing my scripts becuase i put the physical
path to php after my Action directive, rather than alias it
via a ScriptAlias directive..  (silly me thought i could do
away with the ScriptAlias and just point to it directly)

make sure you have both of these (or something similar)
in your httpd.conf file:

ScriptAlias /php/ "/physical/path/to/php"
Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php"

(and make sure to "killall -HUP httpd" after any changes to
the conf files, although you probably knew that already... :)

hope it helps.