FreeTDS is used to provide Sybase and MSSQL-specific TDS protocol
 instructions to the databases.  ODBC is a different protocol (from my
understanding).

If you're trying to use ODBC stuff, you need an ODBC driver.  I think FreeTDS
might have this/allow this, but I don't think it's intended to do that.