php-general Digest 25 Feb 2001 04:49:28 -0000 Issue 532

Topics (messages 41497 through 41541):

Re: Class methods in PHP
        41497 by: Christian Reiniger
        41501 by: Kevin Beckford
        41505 by: Aaron Tuller

Re: isset()
        41498 by: Christian Reiniger

Re: DIsplaying page before script finnished
        41499 by: James Moore
        41500 by: Fredrik Wahlberg

Re: Binding A Socket
        41502 by: Kyndig

Help with mass import to MySQL using PHP
        41503 by: Clayton Dukes
        41504 by: richard merit
        41507 by: Clayton Dukes
        41508 by: Clayton Dukes

parsing multiple xml documents
        41506 by: Daniel Convissor

function mail
        41509 by: Augusto Cesar Castoldi

file handle error? or something else?
        41510 by: rick - SomersNet, Inc.
        41511 by: CC Zona

Please help - File Uploads, 2nd try
        41512 by: Ed Lazor
        41516 by: Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios
        41526 by: Ed Lazor
        41527 by: Koncz Ádám
        41528 by: Koncz Ádám

C vs PHP
        41513 by: Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios
        41518 by: James Moore
        41524 by: Michael Kimsal

CLOB update difficulties
        41514 by: Chris Murtland

searching Oracle 8i CLOB columns
        41515 by: Chris Murtland

Re: Using while as for...
        41517 by: Steve Edberg

Inserting user name and password into mysql...
        41519 by: Felipe Lopes

Cookie References?
        41520 by: Jeff Oien
        41523 by: php3.developersdesk.com

Re: $result = $$function
        41521 by: Simon Garner

Re: checking $more still does not work !
        41522 by: Simon Garner

persistant user tracking
        41525 by: Mitchell Hagerty

Re: Database Paging using MSSQL 2000
        41529 by: Manuel Lemos

Re: <select name=....
        41530 by: Kath

comparing numbers
        41531 by: Clayton Dukes
        41532 by: Joe Stump
        41533 by: David Harrison
        41535 by: Clayton Dukes

PHP4 install question
        41534 by: Ed Lazor

compiling in imap probs
        41536 by: Mitchell Hagerty

Detecting if JavaScript is enabled
        41537 by: Jochen Kächelin

generate  e.g. circles on the fly with coordinates for postioning
        41538 by: Helmut Ott
        41540 by: Joe Conway

Detecting JavaScript
        41539 by: Jochen Kächelin

Temporarily turning off magic quotes?
        41541 by: Ben Cheng

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Saturday 24 February 2001 17:05, Kevin Beckford wrote:
> Is there class methods in php?

Well, there are classes, classes can have methods, there are methods to
handle classes, methods to inspect methods, methods to inspect classes
and propably more.

I have no idea what you mean with your question, but I hope that some
part of the above answers it...

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
 -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

Well I meant class functions that do not need an object to be declared...
but don't worry about it - I found out. There are none in php.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Reiniger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:
: Well, there are classes, classes can have methods, there are methods to
: handle classes, methods to inspect methods, methods to inspect classes
: and propably more.
:
: I have no idea what you mean with your question, but I hope that some
: part of the above answers it...
:
: --
: Christian Reiniger
: LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)
:
: "The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
:  -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972
:
: --
: PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
: To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

that's not true.

you can call a static method with the "::" notation.

like ClassName::method();

there's doesn't need to be an instance to do that.

not sure if that's true for all of PHP4 or just 4.04 or whatnot.

-aaron

On Saturday 24 February 2001 17:18, PHPBeginner.com wrote:
> in my preceding email I've written:
>
> if($var!='')
>
> will fix your all your worries without an intervention of a strings
> function.

Except that it will throw a warning in PHP4 if $var is not set.
=> isset () should be used.

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
 -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

If you have output buffering on then you need to flish the buffer (see the
manual) otherwise it should happen automatically.

James

I think if you use flush() you can send it continually. Rembember to end
every line or the browser will not understand that it shall show it.
Tables can also give you problems, they do not show until they are closed.

/Fredrik

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, David Tandberg-Johansen wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I wonder if there are any way to display the page before the script is
> finished?
>
> I have a loop in my script,and I want to display the resoult for each loop.

------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -------------
Fredrik Wahlberg
Kristinehovsgatan 12  Home: +46-8-642 35 23
S-117 29 Stockholm    Work: +46-8-54 54 56 12
Sweden                Mobile: +46-70-576 16 51

I posted this message, but it never went through:

Not sunny on this end, abit drab today,

I'm workin up a socket bind for a MUD game. Heh, why not, nothin
ta do wright now. I've taken the main socket() call off of php.net
page as an example to bind a port. The script functions, but
when I telnet to the binded port...I get nothing. Any help?

<?php

function init_socket( $port )
{
   /* Allow the script to hang around waiting for connections. */
   set_time_limit (0);

   $address = '216.166.223.178';

  if (($sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) < 0)
  {
      echo "socket() failed: reason: " . strerror ($sock) . "\n";
  }

  if (($ret = bind ($sock, $address, $port)) < 0)
  {
               echo "bind() failed: reason: " . strerror ($ret) . "\n";
  }

  if (($ret = listen ($sock, 5)) < 0)
  {
               echo "listen() failed: reason: " . strerror ($ret) . "\n";
  }

  do
  {
                 if (($msgsock = accept_connect($sock)) < 0)
                 {
                        echo "accept_connect() failed: reason: " . strerror ($msgsock)
. "\n";
                        break;
                 }

                 do
                 {
                                $buf = '';
                                $ret = read ($msgsock, $buf, 2048);
                                if ($ret < 0) {
                                echo "read() failed: reason: " . strerror ($ret) .
"\n";
                                break 2;
                                }
                                if ($ret == 0) {
                                break 2;
                                }
                                $buf = trim ($buf);
                                if ($buf == 'quit') {
                                close ($msgsock);
                                break 2;
                                }
                                $talkback = "PHP: You said '$buf'.\n";
                                write ($msgsock, $talkback, strlen ($talkback));
                                echo "$buf\n";
                                } while (true);
                                close ($msgsock);
                                } while (true);
}

    $port = "6969";
    $control = init_socket( $port );
    printf("Game is up and runnin on %d.", $port );
    close ($control);
    exit( 0 );

?>
--
Kind Regards,
---

Kind Regards,
---
Kyndig
Online Text Game Resource Site:  http://www.kyndig.com
ICQ#    10451240

Kind Regards,
---
Kyndig
Online Text Game Resource Site:  http://www.kyndig.com
ICQ#    10451240

Hi everyone,

I'm working on converting my site to PHP/MySql.

I need to figure out a way to import several thousand text files into the database while applying certain PHP functions to them.

From now on, when a user submits a new document, it gets a random docid assigned to it using the following method:

          $time = time();
      $rand = Random_Password(5);
          $docid = $time . $rand;

Random_Password is defined as:

function Random_Password($length) {
        mt_srand((double)microtime()*10000000);
        $possible_characters = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
        $string = "";
        while(strlen($string)<$length) {
                $string .=
                        substr($possible_characters,(mt_rand()%(strlen($possible_characters))),1);
        }
        return($string);

After they fill in a form and paste thier document, the following fields are submitted to the database:

$query = "INSERT INTO documents VALUES ('$docid', '$category', '$subcategory', '$date', '$subject', '$title', '$author', '$email', '$language', '$grade', '$level', '$city', '$state', '$county', '$school', '$zip', '$authors_comments', '$teachers_comments', 'N', '$docdata')";

Now, the million dollar question is:
how do I import the several thousand text documents I already have while applying this formulae, aside from manually submitting each one ;-)?

Here's an example of one of the text documents:
Currently, all text documents have exactly the same format:
$docid
$subject
$title
$author
$email
$language
$grade
$school
$country
$author_comments
$teacher_comments
$date
The only thing that changes are the fields after the colon and the body itself.
I realize that the current text files do not have all of the information for the new database such as $subcategory, I'm going to have to grandfather the old text files in somehow.
Also, there are certain fields that are enums in the database, so I need to make sure that each field conforms to that, eg; one of the subject fields in the database only allows for "Computers and Internet" not Computer, so I need to rewrite that string before placing it in the database. I also need to change $grade from any alpha strings to a percentile grade, eg: [b-B]=92 (see database format below).

Document ID        : 100
Subject            : Computer
Title              : internet beyond human control
Author             :
Email Address      :
Language           : english
Grade              : b
School System      : ohio state university
Country            : USA
Author's Comments  : tom dodd
Teacher's Comments : well done
Date               : 5/96

The Internet Beyond Human Control
The Internet has started to change the way of the world during this decade.  More homes,
companies, and schools are getting hooked online with the Internet during the past few years.
This  change has started to become the new way of life present and future. The Internet system is

And here's the database format:
CREATE TABLE dox (
  id bigint(20) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL auto_increment,
  docid varchar(20),
  category enum('Language Arts','Sciences','Humanities','Arts','Special Subjects','Other'),
  subcategory enum('Physics','Biology','Chemistry','Math','Computers and Internet','History','Economics','Geography','Law','Religion','Philosophy','Black Awareness','Countries','Drugs','Education','Environmental Awareness','Politics','Health','Sex and Sexuality','Female Awareness','Art','Movies or TV','Music','Sports','Charles Dickens','Shakespeare','Biography','Fictional Stories','Astronomy','Mythology'),
  date varchar(10),
  subject varchar(200),
  title varchar(200),
  author varchar(200),
  email varchar(50),
  language enum('English','Danish','Dutch','Finnish','German','Spanish'),
  grade int(3),
  level enum('High School','College','Other'),
  city varchar(15),
  state varchar(15),
  county varchar(15),
  school varchar(45),
  zip smallint(5),
  authorcomments varchar(200),
  teachercomments varchar(200),
  approve enum('Y','N'),
  docdata text,
  PRIMARY KEY (id),
  UNIQUE id (id)
);

I realize that this is a lot, but from what I have read since being subscribed to this e-mail list, you guys have talents that are far above and beyond the scope of this. Thank you so much for your help (and wisdom!).

Regards,
Clayton Dukes
CCNA, CCDA, CCDP, CCNP
Internetwork Solutions Engineer
Internetwork Management Engineer

No answer, but a question.  I noticed you're using, in
effect, two id's for each entry, a id number and a doc
id number.  The first is accomplished thru
auto-increment.  Wouldn't it be easier to us just one
id number, a=LAST_INSERT_ID(id+b) and reserve the
first 10k numbers (b), whatever is needed for your old
files then run a php code to format your old entries
and increment those 1 - 100000....and forget about
random numbers.  If I'm not mistaken, if you generate
random numbers you'll have to check, to be on the safe
side, to make sure the random number wasn't used for
someother doc.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

1. Local Server
2. Either one, I'm trying to learn PHP
3. Yes, this is just a project for which I am not making any money, but I can pay
someone in respect and admiration ;-)

     1.are you doing this on a local server or a server on the internet?
     2.are you looking for a direction to do this yourself or for someone to write the
code?
     3.are you looking for free advice?...I am all for free source, but this is going
to take some time and energy.

  Todd
    I'm working on converting my site to PHP/MySql.

    I need to figure out a way to import several thousand text files into the database
while applying certain PHP functions to them.

    From now on, when a user submits a new document, it gets a random docid assigned
to it using the following method:

[...]

the first field, ID, is just for keeping a standard sequence and isn't
called from any web pages. The second ($docid) is a random field which is
called from a web page, which makes it harder (if not impossible) to
guess/hack. This makes it a bit more secure.

A note about the old docid #'s, my intention is to replace the old $docid
with one in the new format. And, since the random docid is based (partly) on
the time at which it was generated, there's not much chance of it being
duplicated.

> No answer, but a question.  I noticed you're using, in
> effect, two id's for each entry, a id number and a doc
> id number.  The first is accomplished thru
> auto-increment.  Wouldn't it be easier to us just one
> id number, a=LAST_INSERT_ID(id+b) and reserve the
> first 10k numbers (b), whatever is needed for your old
> files then run a php code to format your old entries
> and increment those 1 - 100000....and forget about
> random numbers.  If I'm not mistaken, if you generate
> random numbers you'll have to check, to be on the safe
> side, to make sure the random number wasn't used for
> someother doc.

Hi Folks:

I just wrote a basic XML parser using the parse_xml() function set.  Does
what I want on the first document.  But, if I try to run a second document
through, it chokes saying "junk after document element."

All of the files are valid and parse okay if I just send one file through.
Also, the program runs fine if I redeclare the parser before parsing each
file.  While this works, having to redeclare the parser each time seems far
from efficient.

So, is there a better way to handle this, please?

Sample code is below if you're interested.

Thanks,

--Dan

<?php

# Declare Parser Once.
# Only works for first file.

# NOTE: 'StartHandler', 'EndHandler' and 'CharacterHandler'
# functions left out for clarity.

$Parser = xml_parser_create('UTF-8');
xml_set_element_handler($Parser, 'StartHandler', 'EndHandler');
xml_set_character_data_handler($Parser, 'CharacterHandler');

$DirHandle = opendir("./StartTest");
while ( $FileName = readdir($DirHandle) ) {
   if ( ereg("^file.[0-9]{5}$", "$FileName") ) {
      $Contents = implode( '', file("./StartTest/$FileName") );

      if ( xml_parse($Parser, $Contents) ) {
         echo "\n<br />Yipee!";
      } else {
         echo "\n<br />UGH! ";
         echo xml_error_string(xml_get_error_code($Parser));

?>

<?php

# Declare Parser before parsing each file.
# Works fine, but seems inefficient.

# NOTE: 'StartHandler', 'EndHandler' and 'CharacterHandler'
# functions left out for clarity.

$DirHandle = opendir("./StartTest");
while ( $FileName = readdir($DirHandle) ) {
   if ( ereg("^file.[0-9]{5}$", "$FileName") ) {
      $Contents = implode( '', file("./StartTest/$FileName") );

      $Parser = xml_parser_create('UTF-8');
      xml_set_element_handler($Parser, 'StartHandler', 'EndHandler');
      xml_set_character_data_handler($Parser, 'CharacterHandler');

      if ( xml_parse($Parser, $Contents) ) {
         echo "\n<br />Yipee!";
      } else {
         echo "\n<br />UGH! ";
         echo xml_error_string(xml_get_error_code($Parser));

?>

--
                PHP scripts that make your job easier
              http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/

$sent=mail("[EMAIL PROTECTED]", $subject, $msg, $from);

if $sent==1 --> the e-mail was sent

if $sent==0 --> problem when sending e-mail??

how this works? When the function mail will have a problem?

if the "to" mail are wrong?

regards,

Augusto Cesar Castoldi

Hello All...

I wanted to write a program that would search google for specific
keywords from my database, and report to me if it found my domain, and
if so what page it was on.

Well it works, and it's very cool I might add, but then it fails...
:(   But it doesn't fail right away.. I have had it fail as fast as 5
mins into exec, and as long as 1 1/2 hours into exec... and when it does
fail, it spits out 1 error over, and over, and over, just as fast as it
can (i think it gets stuck in the "for").. and the error says something
about "invalid file handle resource"...

I am testing it with 4 domains, and 90 keywords, and only having it
search the first 50 pages.. It takes a domain from mysql and then gets
the list of keywords to check. It then calls google and checks each
keyword page for the key domain.

Below is a copy of my code as it stands right now. I don't expect anyone
to have a quick answer to this problem, but I am hopeful that someone
might see something in the code that could be done better..
hopefuly....   :)

BTW.. I am running FreeBSD/3.4 and PHP/4.0.2

<?php

#
# Google (Search Engine) Rating Tracking System
#
# Track domain and keyword page ranks. Analyze data and report
# stats and history.
#
# Multi domain and keyword friendly.
#

#########
# START #
#########
#
#

$month=date("m");
$day=date("d");
$year=date("Y");

$connect = mysql_connect("hostname","user","pass");
@mysql_select_db("Google");

# get domain list
$domains=@mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Domains");
while ($row  =  mysql_fetch_row($domains)) {
$domain="$row[0]";

# get keyword list
$keywords=@mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Keywords");
while ($roz  =  mysql_fetch_row($keywords)) {
$keyword="$roz[0]";

$found="";
$sp="";

# search first 50 pages for keyword
for ($i = 0;;$i = $i + 10) {
    if ($i > 500) {
        break;
    }

     $agent = 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)';
     $mydata=("q=$keyword&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=$i&sa=N");
     $host="www.google.com";
     $filename = "/search?$mydata";
     $sp=fsockopen($host,80) or brake;
     socket_set_timeout($sp, 600) or brake;
     fputs($sp,"GET $filename HTTP/1.1\n") or brake;
     fputs($sp,"Host: $host\n");
     fputs($sp,"User-Agent: $agent\n");
     fputs($sp,"Connection: close\n\n");
      while(!feof($sp)) {
         $output .= fgets($sp,128);
         }
     fclose($sp);
     $sp="";

     if(ereg("$domain","$output")){
     $found=1;
     $output="";
       break;
     } else{
     $found=0;
     $output="";}

}

if($found == "1"){
$page = $i / 10;
print "$domain / $keyword - page $page <BR>\n";
} else{
$page = "50";
print "$domain / $keyword - page $page+ <BR>\n";}

flush();

# add to database
mysql_query("INSERT INTO Stats
VALUES('$domain','$keyword','$month','$day','$year','$page')");

# end keywords
}
print "<BR>\n<BR>\n";
# end domains
}

mysql_close($connect);

?>

Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it... I am hope it's
just something simple...  :)

Thanks Allot,

..rick

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("rick - SomersNet, Inc.") wrote:

>      $sp=fsockopen($host,80) or brake;
>      socket_set_timeout($sp, 600) or brake;
>      fputs($sp,"GET $filename HTTP/1.1\n") or brake;

Hmm.  What's that 'or brake' stuff?  'brake' is used as a constant, but you
don't show what it's defined as.  I assume what you're going for is an 'or
die()' function call...?

--
CC

I upgraded my web server and now file uploads don't work.  A test script is
listed below.  It puts the file on the server, but the file has

^M

pre-pended to it, thus breaking the file.  Do you know why it's doing this
and how to fix it?

-Ed

<?php

global $HTTP_POST_VARS;
global $REQUEST_URI;

if (empty($HTTP_POST_VARS))
{
        # Display form
?>
        <h3>File Upload Test</h3>

        <form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="<?php echo
$REQUEST_URI;?>">
        <input type="hidden" name="max_file_size" value="35000000">

                                Upload: &nbsp;
                                </b></font>
                                <input type="file" name="uploadedfile" size="39">
                                <input type="submit" value="UPLOAD">

        </form>

<?
}
else
{
        # process form

        global $uploadedfile_name;
        global $uploadedfile;

                # replacing spaces with the _ symbol
                $Filename = ereg_replace(" ", "_", $uploadedfile_name);

                # move the uploaded file to the archive
                # I put <path to files> here for display purposes only
                $Location = "<path to files>/htdocs/attachments/test/" . $Filename;
                #copy($uploadedfile, $Location);

                move_uploaded_file($uploadedfile, $Location);

}
?>

Ed Lazor wrote:

> I upgraded my web server and now file uploads don't work.  A test script is
> listed below.  It puts the file on the server, but the file has

> ^M
>
> pre-pended to it, thus breaking the file.  Do you know why it's doing this
> and how to fix it?

This happens because you are dealing with DOS text in a unix
environment.
You can use dos2unix utility in order to correct this problem. Remenber,
always transfer text files unix->dos->unix using ascii mode.

At 06:44 PM 2/24/2001 +0000, Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios wrote:
>Ed Lazor wrote:
> >
> > I upgraded my web server and now file uploads don't work.  A test script is
> > listed below.  It puts the file on the server, but the file has

> > ^M
> >
> > pre-pended to it, thus breaking the file.  Do you know why it's doing this
> > and how to fix it?
> >

>This happens because you are dealing with DOS text in a unix
>environment.
>You can use dos2unix utility in order to correct this problem. Remenber,
>always transfer text files unix->dos->unix using ascii mode.

I don't understand.  It's appending Content-Type to all of the files.  I
tested a few other files like tgz files and it put a content type in them
as well.  Since the files are being uploaded in a browser form, shouldn't
the unix / dos issue be eliminated?

-Ed

As Ed Lazor wrote:

> I upgraded my web server and now file uploads don't work.  A test script
is
> listed below.  It puts the file on the server, but the file has
> ^M
> pre-pended to it, thus breaking the file.  Do you know why it's doing this
> and how to fix it?

That's a php 4.0.4pl1 BUG.

To find a _possible_ patch visit:

http://bugs.php.net/bugs.php?id=8995

AND use trim() to remove unwanted linebreaks (appear in the front of the
var. values)!

Sorry, wrong link was added in my prev mail.

> To find a _possible_ patch visit:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=98233943916254&w=2

Hi folks!

I am a used C programmer and now my company decide to switch every non
performance critical web stuf to php. Since i am just a php beginner i
have some questions i could not find anywhere!

As you may know, C does not provide any kind of support for garbage
collection, every thing you want to be done you have to tell (in C) by
yourself. But in PHP i have no ideia about how it manages memory. for
instance:

In C:

str = (char *) malloc(10u);

if i decide to alloc new memory for str (just for explanation purposes),
and i do:

str = (char *) malloc(33u);

i would be in trouble, cause the reference for the previous allocated
pool of memory would be lost.
The approach could be to save the previous references or use realloc.

Now, my doubt: How PHP deals with this:

$query = "select * from apm where id=3";

/* do my processing */

/* and set query to a new string */

$query = "Query done without errors";

What will happen with the previous allocated memory for $query?
I don't like my application eating memory without releasing it after
they are no need any more.

May some one explain how to prevent such scenarios ?

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.

best regrads.

Gustavo Rios

> As you may know, C does not provide any kind of support for garbage
> collection, every thing you want to be done you have to tell (in C) by
> yourself. But in PHP i have no ideia about how it manages memory. for
> instance:

You dont need to worry about mem mangement as PHP does it all for you.

James

http://www.zend.com/zend/art/under-php4-hood.php
and
http://www.zend.com/zend/art/ref-count.php

are articles that go into a bit more depth on this topic.  Maybe not
as detailed as you'd like, but they explain a bit more about
how/why "PHP does it for you" is a valid reply to your question.

Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am a used C programmer and now my company decide to switch every non
> performance critical web stuf to php. Since i am just a php beginner i
> have some questions i could not find anywhere!
>
> As you may know, C does not provide any kind of support for garbage
> collection, every thing you want to be done you have to tell (in C) by
> yourself. But in PHP i have no ideia about how it manages memory. for
> instance:
>
> In C:
>
> str = (char *) malloc(10u);
>
> if i decide to alloc new memory for str (just for explanation purposes),
> and i do:
>
> str = (char *) malloc(33u);
>
> i would be in trouble, cause the reference for the previous allocated
> pool of memory would be lost.
> The approach could be to save the previous references or use realloc.
>
> Now, my doubt: How PHP deals with this:
>
> $query = "select * from apm where id=3";
>
> /* do my processing */
>
> /* and set query to a new string */
>
> $query = "Query done without errors";
>
> What will happen with the previous allocated memory for $query?
> I don't like my application eating memory without releasing it after
> they are no need any more.
>
> May some one explain how to prevent such scenarios ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.
>
> best regrads.
>
> Gustavo Rios

Hello,

I am trying to update an Oracle 8i CLOB field. I have looked at previous
messages on the list and am trying the following:

        $sql="update murtland.articles set
title='$title',release_date=TO_DATE('$release_date','YYYY-MM-DD'),body=:body
text,sections='$sections',mod_date=TO_DATE('$mod_date','yyyy-mm-dd
hh24:mi:ss'),mod_userid=$userid where articleid=$articleid";
        //echo $sql;
        $stmt=OCIParse($conn,$sql);
        $bodytext = OCINewDescriptor($conn, OCI_D_LOB);
        OCIBindByName($stmt,":bodytext",&$bodytext,-1,OCI_B_CLOB);
        OCIExecute($stmt, OCI_DEFAULT);
        $bodytext->save($body);
    OCICommit($stmt);
        $bodytext->free();
        OCIFreeStatement($stmt);
        OCILogoff($conn);

However, this gives me the error: invalid LOB locator specified.

Thanks,
Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Murtland
Studio Moxie, LLC
www.studiomoxie.com
336.773.1684
800.707.2367 fax/voicemail

Does anyone have any example code for searching Oracle 8i CLOB fields? Do I
have to create a stored procedure to be able to do this?

I want to be able to search a separate varchar column in addition to
searching the CLOB column.

Thanks,
Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Murtland
Studio Moxie, LLC
www.studiomoxie.com
336.773.1684
800.707.2367 fax/voicemail

At 12:44 PM -0800 2/24/01, Felipe Lopes wrote:
>I was trying to code the following script using while instead of for,
>but I'm havig a lot of problems...Is it possible to do what I want?
>
>for ($count = 0; $count <= 10; $count++){
>echo "Number is $count <BR>\n";
>}
>
>Could anyone tell me how is it with while instead of for??
>Thank you!!

        $count = 0;
        while ($count <= 10) {
        echo "Number is $count <BR>\n";
        $count++;
        }

I think - if you're feeling obscure - that

        $count = 0;
        while
        (($count <= 10) && print 'Number is '.$count++." <br>\n")
        {}

will work too. As will - using alternate while syntax -

        $count = 0;
        while ($count <= 10):
        echo 'Number is '.$count++." <br>\n";
        endwhile;

See:

        http://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.while.php

for more info.

-steve

--
+--- "They've got a cherry pie there, that'll kill ya" ------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |

Hi!
Here I am again...I have a problem to insert user name, password and
host into mysql...I'd like to know what commands I need to do that
(since the command to start mysql on my computer) so that way I won't be
able to do anything wrong!
Thank you

Felipe Lopes
MailBR - O e-mail do Brasil -- http://www.mailbr.com.br
Faça já o seu. É gratuito!!!

Could you give me some URLs for tutorials related
to cookies and good reference material?

One question I have is can a cookie never expire?
Jeff Oien

Addressed to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** Reply to note from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:42:09 -0600

> Could you give me some URLs for tutorials related
> to cookies and good reference material?

Not directly, but there are a number of tutorial links at:

   http://www.php.net/links.php

> One question I have is can a cookie never expire?

No, but a cookie that expires in ten years is almost as good.  I bet no
one will have the same cookie file long enough for that to expire.

Rick Widmer
Internet Marketing Specialists
http://www.developersdesk.com

From: "Peter Van Dijck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi,
> I'd like to do:
> $function = "build_result()";
> $result = $$function;
> but it doesn't seem to work.

Try:

<?php
    $function = "build_result";
    $result = $function();
?>

Cheers

Simon Garner

From: "Web Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hi Kaab,
> There must be another problem, it should work. Maybe it helps if
> you send your code here. To see how a simple script works, try
> this tiny script named test.php:
>
> <form action=test.php>
> <input type=submit name=more>
> </form>
> <?php
>  if ($more) {print "<p>Submit is pressed</p>"; };
> ?>
>
> If you first load the php page, you don't see anything rather than a
> submit button. If you press submit, you will see a message.
>
> Ahmad Anvari

I think you need a value for the submit button:

<input type="submit" name="more" value="Click for more">

Cheers

Simon Garner

What are some methods for persistant user tracking?

I need to limit the number of times a person can  search for certain material without
forcing them to create a login.

Currently I am using cookies to limit the number of searches a person can do  but,
quiting and removing the cookie
file easily defeats that.  Storing their IP address locally would work but then not
everyone has a static ip. Would
grabbing the MAC from their ethernet card be doable? Again alot of people use modems.

Any thoughts or resources you know of?
tks
mitch

Hello Ankur,

On 21-Feb-01 06:09:04, you wrote:

>I am implementing a database application using PHP4 and MSSQL2000. I have a
>database table which has a large no. of tuples. I want to display the data in
>the form of pages with Prev Next buttons.

>I wanted to know if there is some syntax in the MSSQL Select statement which
>can allow me to limit the no. of records being returned. I am lookin at
>functionality which is similar to LIMIT in Mysql.

>for ex, LIMIT 10,10  in MYSQL returns to me a maximum of 10 records starting
>from the 10th record in the returned recordset.

>is there any similar functionality available in MSSQL.

You need to use server side cursors.  You may want to look how that is done
in Metabase, a PHP database independent package that has a function
MetabaseSetSelectedRowRange($database,$first,$limit) that may be used
before executing a query and it works like if you are using the
LIMIT $first,$limit query of MySQL.

You may want get Metabase for free here:

http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/browse.html/package/20

You may also want to look into this Query result table display class that
uses this Metabase feature to display query results split in pages:

http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/browse.html/package/130

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Web Programming Components using PHP Classes.
Look at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP key: http://www.mlemos.e-na.net/ManuelLemos.pgp

Don't forget to close the </SELECT>.  Netscape doesn't like it without that
sometimes.

- Kath