Ken, I didn't believe you that IE was so stupidly implemented until I tried
it myself.  You are right, IE 5 rememebers the password even though I hit
CANCEL on the re-authenticate prompt.  And it remembers the password even
when I close all browser windows.

If you decide to store authentication in the session, a good way to
generate a 32 character "token" is md5(uniqid(rand())).  You store a copy
of this token in your database (with some expiration time) and give a copy
of it to the user (either in the session or in a plain old cookie).

For me to implement log-out is not so easy because I am using .htaccess.  I
guess I'll just require the crypt() of the PW to be in a cookie.  Logout
will just put garbage into the cookie.  Hopefully no one will discover that
they can hijack someone elses login by just deleting the cookie.  :-(

John Henckel          alt. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Zumbro Falls, Minnesota, USA   (507) 753-2216

http://geocities.com/jdhenckel/