At 03:18 PM 3/4/01 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>Generally, I don't think a login prompt when a user clicks logout is such bad thing.
>
>It lets the user know they are logged out, and the software is waiting for another
>login.
>
>If they choose to go elsewhere, that's fine.

Why it's bad is that, if the user clicks "cancel", they are not logged out.  They have
to manually clear the field, THEN OK, then they get prompted AGAIN, THEN they hit
cancel.  That's nuts, and my users aren't going to understand that.

>I personally in your situation would use php to determine the browser.
>If its IE 5.5 state "Due to a bug in IE 5.5 that browser is not supported for use
>with this page."
>
>You could give them the choice to continue anyway, or possibly do session
>authentication only with IE 5.5 if you really wanted to go out of your way to cover
>up for Microsofts bug.
>
>Don't lessen security because of a browser bug, though- instead, refuse to support
>the browser.

Well, I guess nothing is going to solve my problem of making people hit "logout"
instead of just closing the browsers, if they're using IE5.5, since both the
user/password are still remembered by the browser, and the session is kept active.  I
would love to not support IE5.5, but my client uses this version primarily.  I will
ask them to downgrade...but I wouldn't be surprised if IE doesn't let you install an
older version!

Anyway, can someone please test to see if this doesn't happen in IE5.0?

I really hate this situation, yessir.

- Ken