I've protected my PHP pages with this little fragment of script, at the
very top of the page

<? session_start();
if( !session_is_registered( "member_id" ) )
{
        header("Location: user_logon.php\n");
}
?>

When I try indexing the pages, using htdig, all I get is a redirect
message. And of course the basic authentication won't work.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

What I am thinking of trying is creating a PHP page to establish a session
and then exec'ing htdig from within the page. If that works it will be
pretty useful as I'll be able to add it to my Maintenance page. No good,
though, for running htdig

Before I try this, though, I'm going to r ead through Coli Viebrock's
"Search This!" article.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions for an alternate search engine
I'll welcome them.

Regards - Miles Thompson