First of all, thanks all who helped with the min and max functions (that works) and
the dollar sign bit (which also works). Kudos. Couldn't have done it without y'all!

Here's the newest brain teaser: I have cookies disabled (well, I have IE set to the
highest security mode, where it disables cookies). I understand that with cookies
enabled, $PHPSESSID will return nothing when it works. However, it will return a value
when cookies are disabled and the page is refreshed after a cookie is attempted. I'm
still getting nothing either way. Anybody know why?