On 10-Mar-2003 Tom Woody wrote:
> I am working on a simple authentication script, where the user submits a
> login and password, the credentials are checked and the user is
> redirected to another script.  The new script checks the HTTP_REFERER
> and if its the original script it continues, otherwise it stops with a
> message about being unauthorized.
>
> What kind of security implications may I be backing myself into?  I want
> to try and stay away from cookies, and as small as this is I think
> Session management is a little overkill.  The average user isn't going
> to spend much more than 1 or 2 minutes on the site (not much for them to
> see or do).  I have seen this method used on other sites, but I prefer
> to check with the experts first.

If they use a proxy that doesn't send HTTP_REFERER, It'll break things.
My numbers say it happens about about 15% of the time:

mysql> select count(*) from hit where urlid=0;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|    83082 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.53 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from hit;
+----------+
| count(*) |
|   541557 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Since you don't want to use sessions, maybe 401 WWW-authenticate method
would work better for your application.

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to