Hi Chris

The first book, Teach Yourself PHP and MySQL in 24 Hrs: I got that one
myself, but it tends to gather dust nowadays...
It was very useful in the beginning with learning the basix syntax etc,
but I quickly outgrew it, and rarely use it at all, not even for
reference.

I got the book called PHP and MySQL web development by Luke Welling and
Laura Thompson. This is a great book, I sleep with it under my pillow
and use it regularly as a reference to examples. I'd say it's basic
enough to start out with, yet advanced enough to keep you interested as
you grow more adept.

BUT, I must admit, at this point, the single resource I use the most wrt
PHP is the manual that comes with PHP, great reference to functions etc,
but of course, you need to know of these functions before you can just
refer to them... So, I would still suggest getting the Luke Welling et
al book. There's a new edition on Amazon for $35, plus shipping of about
$25. The last time I ordered, the Rand was much weaker, and the VAT was
about R55, bringing my total to about R800, but it's well worth it...

There is also a new book by Rasmus Lerdorf and it's cheaper than the
book I mention, unfortunately I don't have insight into that book, and
what would the guy that wrote PHP know about it anyway heh? ;p