PHP Fast & Easy Web Development by Julie Meloni
kicked things off for me (after knowing only HTML)

basically walks you through the code of common things
that you would want to do with PHP. (email a submitted
html form - insert/retrieve and edit data in mysql
database)

Read through the examples and picture it in your mind.
Lots of it is repetition but by the end you'll
understand or at lest know where to look to find
answers to solutions you want

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-6827406-7685618?tag=opera-20&index=blended&keyword=PHP+Fast+Easy+Web+Development

Julie's site: www.thickbook.com
Many tutorials available here as well.

PHP Bible is another good reference book. There's also
a lot of sample code in here if I remeber right
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-6827406-7685618?tag=opera-20&index=blended&keyword=PHP+bible

The manual is really invaluable as well. It's very
well organized and easy to find what you need if you
know how to use it. A boring but helpful activity
would be to  read through the summaries of the
functions. You won't remember all [or any :)] of them,
but you will get an idea of what is possible and how
powerful the language is.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
Also ought to pick yourself up this cheapy while your
at it. A great intro to SQL. It's great for a
reference and an idea of what is possible (and how
simple the majority of what you want to do really is)

You'll probably be using MySQL at some point and this
will help lots to understand how the database can help
you out.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/002-6827406-7685618?tag=opera-20&index=blended&keyword=Sams+Teach+Yourself+SQL+10+Minutes

olinux