for 2, yes nl2br() will do it.  THanks.

but for 1, if the user don't press enter (yes they were typing a long
paragraph), then the variable will contain one LONG string.

ANd if I retrieve this data and put it in the html page, it would appear as
a one lined long string.  DO you know what I am trying to say?

Let's say in the paragraph the user input in the text area is somethign like
this:

Hi, this is a longggggggggggggggggg paragraph  that issssssssssssssssss
about our knowledgeBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBase.  I have NEVERRRRRRRRRRRR
press enter in this text area at alllllllllllllllllll.

then this content will be stored in the database and I would retrieve this
and display it in a html page.

the problem is when I display it it would be a one lined paragraph.   THe
page's format is ruin since this is one long line and the user will have to
scroll across to read the paragraph which look pretty bad.

I hope you know what i am trying to say.

Thank you for the suggestions anyways

Kelvin