On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:49:05 +0100, you wrote:

>I am currently trying to understand how to place content on a different site
>without giving away my code. SOAP seems to be the solution. I am absolutly

First off, I have to say this is a social problem, not a technical one.
If you're worried about the theft of your code (and, to be honest, most
code is worthless anyway), tackle it with a contract, not a hack.

>new to web services. What I did understand so far is that it is basicly
>pritty simple to transfer some data like a currency exchange rate over the
>web service. But how about a complete web portal? Connected to the same DB,

SOAP is simply a mechanism for calling functions that may be hosted on
other computers. It's useful because it's a standard, and it goes
through firewalls. Divide your application's functions down the middle,
and decide which will be on machine A and which on machine B.

But be warned, this will be /slow/, less reliable and more complex to
write. This goes for any kind of RPC, not just SOAP, especially with PHP
(lack of threads, no native support).

>the php files hosted on my server, but the application served by a different
>server. Like co branding the portal. Is this possible as well?

Yes it's possible. Think of it like this... you currently have a
database layer, right? All the bits of code that talk to the database
are out in a seperate file or class? That's the part that you'd probably
move to a seperate computer, and would call via SOAP.

>Maybe someone can point me into the right direction.

NuSOAP? .NET? Java?