Hi,

I can't believe I've never bothered to learn this stuff, so I apologise for
being totally dumb in advance :P

phpinfo() tells me my php.ini is being read from /usr/local/lib, however,
there's definitely NOT a php.ini file there.

So, I went hunting and found this on
http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php

"
12. How do I know if my php.ini is being found and read? It seems like it
isn't as my changes aren't being implemented.

To be sure your php.ini is being read by PHP, make a call to phpinfo() and
near the top will be a listing called Configuration File (php.ini). This
will tell you where PHP is looking for php.ini and whether or not it's being
read. If just a directory PATH exists than it's not being read and you
should put your php.ini in that directory. If php.ini is included within the
PATH than it is being read.

If php.ini is being read and you're running PHP as a module then be sure to
restart PHP after making changes to php.ini
"

My questions are:

1. if there's no php.ini in /usr/local/lib, is php using a default set of
settings, or another file (if so, where?)?

2. how do I tell php to look somewhere else, or is the solution to
create/copy a php.ini into /usr/local/lib and restart apache?

TIA

Justin