On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Justin French wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't believe I've never bothered to learn this stuff, so I apologise for
> being totally dumb in advance :P
>
> phpinfo() tells me my php.ini is being read from /usr/local/lib, however,
> there's definitely NOT a php.ini file there.

That faq mentions that if only a directory is listed from phpinfo()
then php.ini is NOT being read.  For example, from phpinfo():

  BAD - not being read
  /usr/local/lib/

  GOOD - oh yeah, it's being read
  /usr/local/lib/php.ini

> So, I went hunting and found this on
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php
>
> "
> 12. How do I know if my php.ini is being found and read? It seems like it
> isn't as my changes aren't being implemented.
>
> To be sure your php.ini is being read by PHP, make a call to phpinfo() and
> near the top will be a listing called Configuration File (php.ini). This
> will tell you where PHP is looking for php.ini and whether or not it's being
> read. If just a directory PATH exists than it's not being read and you
> should put your php.ini in that directory. If php.ini is included within the
> PATH than it is being read.
>
> If php.ini is being read and you're running PHP as a module then be sure to
> restart PHP after making changes to php.ini
> "

> My questions are:
>
> 1. if there's no php.ini in /usr/local/lib, is php using a default set of
> settings, or another file (if so, where?)?

Yes, the defaults.

> 2. how do I tell php to look somewhere else, or is the solution to
> create/copy a php.ini into /usr/local/lib and restart apache?

There are a few options.  The easiest is to just put a php.ini
in the directory it lists.  Or, you could set the PHPRC environment
variable, or you could use the --with-config-file-path option
during compile.  Search around for more information on these
options.

Regards,
Philip