Knowing any kind of programming language will help in learning PHP. If you
understand variables, arrays, if/else structures, etc., it allows you to
skim over some of the basics quickly.

I had very little programming experience, but, learned a lot from the book
"PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Wellington and Laura Thomson. This
was a about 2 years ago, though, and if they haven't come out with an
update, then it's probably a little too outdated by now.

Also, I learned LOTS from a number of guys on this newsgroup who generously
offer their advice and wisdom. The sites that a few others mentioned are
also helpful. Once you start programming, ALWAYS check out the online PHP
help on php.net. It's really excellent and is chock full of input from users
who offer sample scripts and solutions for all kinds of things. It's the
best resource anywhere.

I also get PHP Architect (phparch.com), a PDF publication that has some good
and helpful stuff in it. As you can see, there are lots of online resources
for PHP and MySQL.

Monty