GnuPG doesn't use stdin to read the password, which is where you're
sending it. It uses a more low-level interface (check out the below link
if you're interested) where they interact directly with the virtual
console.

Try piping to your command- that won't work either

echo $PASSPHRASE | \
/usr/bin/gpg \
--homedir=/path/to/.gnupg \
--no-secmem-warning \