The short answer is that if you're worried about security, don't store a uid
and pwd in a cookie on the client... banks don't do it, for example.

It's also common for the uid to be remembered, but not the pwd.

>From what I can see happening on the "big sites", you give the user the
option to be remembered or not, and you advise them against it if they're on
a shared/public computer, or even remotely care about security and privacy.

Handling log-ins and cookie sending under SSL would also help.

Justin