By not using cookies, each browser window would have it's own session,
propagated through the URL.  Which I don't think you would want users
with multi sessions in an intranet app.

You didn't mention how you are storing your session data, but I'll
assume it's the defualt (files).  I would further quess that the
hanging that you are seeing is do to a lock on the particular session
file.

Any body know for sure?

I'm currently working on are pretty complex intranet app that has
mulitple frames, each needing access to the session data independant of
the others.  In my situation, PHP sessions just couldn't do what I
wanted.  I ended up rolling my own session/authentication scheme backed
by a DB.

Chris