I've just finished a big PHP project and I'm about to start a new project. I've had both fun and pain with PHP.

The new project would be another one of those database driven online store kind-of things for a somewhat large company.

Before I start my new project I am considering whether to use PHP again or to switch to jsp. I'm worried that PHP won't scale well. And by scaling I don't mean under heavy load, I mean maintenance wise :) I can't imagine having to do a feature upgrade on a PHP project with more than 100 files ... (this file requires that file which requires that one and so on ...)

I used to be a java programmer and always wax nostalgic about how easy it was to program-by-contract using objects and interfaces. And I'm always gripping about how much pain session handling is (not because of PHP but because HTTP is stateless).

I don't know anything about jsp but I've asked a few jsp programmer and I've heard lots of good things about it. They tell me I can get "true" object-oriented programming, object persistence *and* much easier to manage session handling. However none of them have ever used PHP so they can't really compare the two.

Can anyone give personal opinion of a comparison of the two?

Are they two completely different beast hence totally for totally different purposes? Or are they two languages that are mostly used for the same things?

Thanks,

Jean-Christian Imbeault