php-general Digest 12 Mar 2001 13:32:45 -0000 Issue 562

Topics (messages 43423 through 43463):

ASP vs PHP
        43423 by: Chris Anderson
        43427 by: Michael Kimsal
        43428 by: Rick St Jean
        43434 by: Steve Edberg
        43440 by: Simon Garner
        43447 by: Carsten Gehling
        43452 by: Carsten Gehling

RegExp help..
        43424 by: John Vanderbeck
        43425 by: David Robley
        43435 by: Fredrik Wahlberg

Re: Resource for PHP and other technologies
        43426 by: Valter Santos

Good Free PHP Editor?
        43429 by: Andrew Halliday
        43430 by: David Robley
        43431 by: John LYC
        43439 by: Simon Garner
        43456 by: Aviv Revach
        43457 by: Nick Davies
        43458 by: Lucas Persona

Re: Best way to pass SQL TEXT field via a link
        43432 by: Jens Nedal

header
        43433 by: Nick Kostirya
        43444 by: Christian Reiniger

form code for download - very powerful, object oriented
        43436 by: Jeffrey Greer

Re: sharing variables
        43437 by: Tiki

Re: Mailing List
        43438 by: Peter Sabaini
        43461 by: Harshdeep S Jawanda
        43462 by: Harshdeep S Jawanda
        43463 by: Nick Davies

Grab and print user IP address
        43441 by: Dream
        43451 by: mailing_list.gmx.at
        43454 by: Dream
        43455 by: mailing_list.gmx.at

Re: Problems with string replacement
        43442 by: Christian Reiniger

Re: New to navigation functions...
        43443 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

Re: File Upload Size Limit Problem
        43445 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

Quotes in inputfields & Reload
        43446 by: Jens Nedal

Re: newbie array question
        43448 by: Robin Vickery

Close persistent db-Connection
        43449 by: Carola Meyberg

Re: fscanf
        43450 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

Using selected fields
        43453 by: Tristan.Pretty.risk.sungard.com

Re: printing data using javascript with php
        43459 by: Tim Ward

(doubt)MCAL installation
        43460 by: Celestino Roberto Alejandro

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is going to sound like heresy, but is there any way to use ASP and PHP in the
same fle/page? Seperated of course.

You're comparing a framework to a language.

ASP is a technology which allows code for different languages to be embedded in a file
parsed by a webserver (IIS).  To accomplish this, different languages need to be
written
as modules for that webserver.  MS has VBScript (default language), JScript and
PerlScript
(anyone know of any more?).  If someone was to write PHP to be an ASP/IIS module
that could be executed under the ASP framework, then yes.  Until then, no.  I also
don't think it's a likely scenario, but I've been wrong many times before in my life.
:)

Chris Anderson wrote:

> This is going to sound like heresy, but is there any way to use ASP and PHP in the
>same fle/page? Seperated of course.

I was told by someone that it is possible with apache.  You can have
something parse
the page once then be parsed by something else.  I don't know how and I
have never seen
it but I have been told that it is possible.

Rick

At 11:28 PM 3/11/01 -0500, Michael Kimsal wrote:
>You're comparing a framework to a language.
>
>ASP is a technology which allows code for different languages to be
>embedded in a file
>parsed by a webserver (IIS).  To accomplish this, different languages need
>to be written
>as modules for that webserver.  MS has VBScript (default language),
>JScript and PerlScript
>(anyone know of any more?).  If someone was to write PHP to be an ASP/IIS
>module
>that could be executed under the ASP framework, then yes.  Until then,
>no.  I also
>don't think it's a likely scenario, but I've been wrong many times before
>in my life.  :)
>

>Chris Anderson wrote:
>
> > This is going to sound like heresy, but is there any way to use ASP and
> PHP in the same fle/page? Seperated of course.
>

>--

#  Rick St Jean,
#  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
#  President of Design Shark,
#  http://www.designshark.com/
#  Quick Contact:  http://www.designshark.com/messaging.ihtml
#  Tel: 905-684-2952

At 11:48 PM -0500 3/11/01, Rick St Jean wrote:
>I was told by someone that it is possible with apache.  You can have
>something parse
>the page once then be parsed by something else.  I don't know how
>and I have never seen
>it but I have been told that it is possible.
>
>Rick

That would be 'stacked request handlers'...not possible, AFAIK, with
any of the 1.x versions, but supposedly Apache 2.0 can do it. Check
out httpd.apache.org; v2.0 is still alpha.

        - steve

--
+--- "They've got a cherry pie there, that'll kill ya" ------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |

From: "Chris Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> This is going to sound like heresy, but is there any way to
> use ASP and PHP in the same fle/page? Seperated of course.

What if you put:

<!--#include virtual="path/to/file.php"-->

in your ASP page?

> > This is going to sound like heresy, but is there any way to
> > use ASP and PHP in the same fle/page? Seperated of course.
>

> What if you put:
>
> <!--#include virtual="path/to/file.php"-->
>
> in your ASP page?

Won't work I'm afraid. ASP expects all included files to use same language
as the base file. Doesn't matter if you call them .php, .inc, .asp, .foo ...

- Carsten

From: "Andrew Halliday" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Does anyone know of a good PHP enabled editor that fits the following
> criteria:?
>
> (in order of importance)
> - Is free
> - Runs under Windows
> - Has colors (syntax highlighting)
> - Can edit multiple files (ie multi threaded)
> - Reports line numbers
> - Has good search & replace functionality
>
> ???
>
> Ive been using editpad up till now but my code is starting to get so large
> that ill need syntax highlighting soon...
>
> AndrewH

HomeSite is great. www.allaire.com

- not totally free I'm afraid, but there is an eval version.
- runs under Windows yes
- supports syntax highlighting for lots of languages including HTML, PHP,
Perl, SQL, ASP (VB/JS).
- can edit multiple files yes
- shows line numbers in gutter on left hand side
- supports regular-expression based search & replace across multiple
files/directories
- nice interface.

Cheers

Simon Garner

Hey!

PHPEd is free:

*  Runs under Windows.
*  Has syntax highlighting. Supports: Html, Perl, Php, SQL, and regular
text files.
*  Can edit multiple files
*  I'm quite sure it reports line numbers.
*  It has a very good search & replace functionality.

This is obviously what you need!!

You can get it from: http://soysal.com/PHPEd/

Best Regards -

   Aviv Revach

     BRILLIANeT Website -
   http://www.brillianet.com/

How about linux ones?

I just tend to use vim or emacs but i'm sure there are some out there.

Andrew Halliday wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good PHP enabled editor that fits the following
> criteria:?
>
> (in order of importance)
> - Is free
> - Runs under Windows
> - Has colors (syntax highlighting)
> - Can edit multiple files (ie multi threaded)
> - Reports line numbers
> - Has good search & replace functionality

You could try ConTEXT ( http://www.fixedsys.com/context/ )
It has everything you've described above..and yes..its free!
--
Lucas Persona

Actually the best would be if you would remain in the page so you dont have
to pass any variables along the url but just in a submit form to the current
page. There you could include your addupdate.php with a trigger like
<input type=hidden name=action value=save> and just ask that value of that
field in an if-clause. if true just include the addupdate and execute it
along.

Hope that helps, Jens Nedal

on 11.03.2001 18:12 Uhr, Fates at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm trying to update an existing record based on a link that represents
> the record to update.
>
> I have a link and I am passing variables that were assigned from a SQL
> database to another php form page which will be used to update the
> record. I'm passing variable like so:<a
> href='addupdate.php?name=$name&category=$category&description=$etc.....
>
> This works fine for variables that contain values of only a few lines
> but what about passing a couple paragraphs stored in variable
> $description assigned via database value as TEXT.
>
> Would it be better just to pass the database record ID to the
> destination page and then query the record in the destination form page
> and populate the form with the current values and update the record or
> is there another way I don't know about?

Hello!
Why header under Windows do not work?
Nick

On Monday 12 March 2001 08:33, you wrote:
> Hello!
> Why header under Windows do not work?

Because you have some problem.

That's all that can be said without telepathic skills.

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

Error 032: Recursion error - see error 032

Hello,

I've created some form code.  It is not finished yet, but it is usable
and powerful.  I've looked at other form code, but none is object
oriented.  I've put this code up before it is finished so I can get
some suggestions for future development.

With this form class you can create your own inputs which inherit from
the base class input.  You could also add one more level of
inheritance for javascript functionality.  This form class also
supports style sheets.

Check it it.  I have a working example at:
http://www.showmethenet.com/~cleaner/code/code.php

The source is free.
--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla

Be careful. Only for PHP4.
Alternatively, try PHPLIB. Works for me:)

""Chris Lee"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
98bfqi$asb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98bfqi$asb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
sessions

<?php

/*

http://php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

sessions with cookies
------------------------
 - will transfer across full urls
 - will transfer acress full form urls
 - will not set SID
 - will not transfer across multiple domainnames

sessions without cookies
------------------------
 - will set SID
 - will transfer across multiple domainnames if the domain name is on the
same server and $SID is manualy appended to the url
 - will transfer across full urls if $SID is appended to the url
 - will transfer across full form urls if $SID is appended to the form url

*/

 function mtime()
 {
  $mtime = microtime();
  $mtime = str_replace('.', '', $mtime);
  $mtime = explode(' ', $mtime);
  $mtime = $mtime[1] . $mtime[0];

  return($mtime);
 }

 if ( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['PHPSESSID']) )
  session_id($HTTP_GET_VARS['PHPSESSID']);
 if ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['PHPSESSID']) )
  session_id($HTTP_POST_VARS['PHPSESSID']);

 if (!isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS['SessionID']))
 {
  $SessionID = mtime();
  session_register('SessionID');
 }

 $PHPSESSID = session_id();
 $SID = "PHPSESSID=$PHPSESSID";

 //----

 echo "
 ";

?>

there ya go

--

 Chris Lee
 Mediawaveonline.com

 ph. 250.377.1095
 ph. 250.376.2690
 fx. 250.554.1120

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Leo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
98be7g$qnj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98be7g$qnj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

hi

i'm currently programming a php web application and i have the following
problem: i need a login scheme; programmed a simple one. Whichever page the
user reaches, in some i need their userid, for extra validation. so
basically, i'm looking for a mechanism to share a variable between multiple
pages, but as i don't always use forms, i think i can't use url-encoding
with the a-tag to make the userid available for all scripts.
maybe there is support for logging users in, i don't know
anyone an idea?

tx

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:59:37AM +1030, David Robley wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:54, Thomas Anderson wrote:
> > Ok, I've tried time and time again to unsubscribe from php.net's
> > mailing list unisubscribe instructions but it doesn't work. So how do I
> > get off the list?
> >

> The following is at the bottom of each message from the list:

which i did. and also emailed [EMAIL PROTECTED]

to no avail i am afraid.

i think you should check your setup...

meanwhile i am just going to set up some procmail rule to redirect
this to /dev/null i guess.

<shrug />

peter.

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:35:04 +0100
From: Peter Sabaini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Peter Sabaini [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NETCONOMY Onlineberatungs- und -management Gmbh & Co KG

 --- snip ---

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:59:37AM +1030, David Robley wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:54, Thomas Anderson wrote:
> > > Ok, I've tried time and time again to unsubscribe from php.net's
> > > mailing list unisubscribe instructions but it doesn't work. So how do I
> > > get off the list?

I suppose you must already have tried sending mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] by now.

Just one small point: is the email address from which you send off your
unsubscription request the one at which you receive mail from this list?

Another point to consider: it may be that you are subscribed to the list using
a redirecting email address. If that is the case, you'll have to send your
unsubscription email from that address. Could you check that up?

--
Regards,
Harshdeep Singh Jawanda.

Hi,

Harshdeep S Jawanda wrote:

> I suppose you must already have tried sending mail to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] by now.

I tried this address and it worked for me.

--
Regards,
Harshdeep Singh Jawanda.

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Harshdeep S Jawanda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Harshdeep S Jawanda wrote:
>
> > I suppose you must already have tried sending mail to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] by now.
>
> I tried this address and it worked for me.

Obviously ;)

> --
> Regards,
> Harshdeep Singh Jawanda.

Hi!

I need just a little script so I can get and print in browser the currently
users IP address and if possible, browser type, etc.

Thanks a lot!

marc

> Hi!
>
> I need just a little script so I can get and print in browser the
> currently
> users IP address and if possible, browser type, etc.

<pre>
<?
  echo "Your IP-Address: $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[REMOTE_ADDR]\n";
  echo "Your Browser   : $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[HTTP_USER_AGENT]\n";
?>
</pre>

HTH
michi

Thanks, michi....

Just a question, what means the tag <PRE>?

thanks!
marc

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió en el mensaje
> > Hi!
> >
> > I need just a little script so I can get and print in browser the
> > currently
> > users IP address and if possible, browser type, etc.

> <pre>
> <?
>   echo "Your IP-Address: $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[REMOTE_ADDR]\n";
>   echo "Your Browser   : $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[HTTP_USER_AGENT]\n";
> ?>
> </pre>
>
> HTH
> michi
>
> --
> Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net

> Thanks, michi....
>
> Just a question, what means the tag <PRE>?

Commonly used for programing code!
All between the tags is written AS IS!!
try the below with and without <pre>:

<pre>
My program
  BEGIN
    If event
      do something
      else dont do something
    fi
  END
;
</pre>

michi

On Sunday 11 March 2001 23:44, you wrote:
> >> Well, I'm having problems again.  This time with string replacement.
> >> I'd like people to be able to write notes on one of the site's I'm
> >> helping with, and would like them to be able to use Bold, Italic,
> >> Underline and <a href> tags.  I tried using striptags(); but that
> >> would strip anything within double quotes too.  So I've gotten
> >> around it by
> >
> > huh? strip_tags works fine for me.
> >
> > echo strip_tags ('Hello <a href="http://foo/">bar</a>
> >
> > creates

> True, but then it doesn't:
> -Open the link in a new window

??
You have some tag like
and strip_tags() transforms this to
?

Or what do you mean with that?

> it does:
> -remove all content between "and".

No. Just plain no. See my example above. The stuff in quotes was kept
without any problems.

> Of course, I could replace quote marks with htmlspecialchars/entities
> or using manual string replacement, but then it'd render all tags using
> quote marks invalid.
>
> See the problem? ;)

No ;)
Perhaps if you could provide some example code...

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

Error 032: Recursion error - see error 032

I cannot figure out what is your problem exactly. Could you explain what you want to do with on server side(PHP) and client side(JavaScript) again on the new thread? Regards, -- Yasuo Ohgaki ""Richard"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message 98ev42$r6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98ev42$r6d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > Thanks, I will check it out. > > Anyhow, I was thinking of fixing an Update bug that I have in one of my > scripts. I use the same php file for reading and saving a file, the thing > is, if the user hits update or whatever, the entry or text will be entered > again, because the address is file.php?PARAM1=...&PARAM2=... Can you > help me with this one? What I want to do is to make sure that the location > is purely the website address and the php file name. > > - Richard > > > > ""Yasuo Ohgaki"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > 98epti$n83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98epti$n83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > > ""Richard"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > > 98eo58$7fg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:98eo58$7fg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > > > Greetings. > > > > > > I was wondering if there is any function like the JavaScript > function: > > > location.href = ""......... or perhaps how I can execute a javascript > > > function from PHP. All related help is appriciated. > > > > > > > You cannot execute JavaScript function, but you can use Java. There are > > articles about it on phpbuilder.com or else. > > > > Server side and Client side scripts are nothing to do with each other. You > > can specify parameters for client side script in server side script, > though. > > > > Regards, > > -- > > Yasuo Ohgaki > > PHP and Related resources > > [PHP FAQ] http://www.php.net/FAQ.php > > [PHP Manual] http://www.php.net/manual/en/ > > [PHP Links] http://www.php.net/links.php > > [RFCs] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/ > > > > > > > - Richard > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > > > > > > > -- > > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > > > > -- > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >

If you have been changed your php.ini to accept larger uploaded files.
Then there are many possibilities. If you explain what kind of environment you
have and it's settings,
someone might be able to help you.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki

""Jeff Oien"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > ""Jeff Oien"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > I've modified a script for uploading multiple files
> > > and am trying to get it to produce an error if the
> > > size of the file is larger than 2 MB but can't get it
> > > to work. Here is the code in question with the
> > > who code below. When I try to upload a 3 MB
> > > file it doesn't produce an error. Everything else works
> > > fine.
> >
> > You need to edit your php.ini
> > Read your php.ini and look for upload_max_filesize.
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Yasuo Ohgaki
>
> I know my max_file_size 2 MB.
> I want to prevent a user from trying to upload a file that
> is larger than 3 MB.
> Jeff Oien

Hy everybody,

Well here is the deal (Probably an easy one 8))
I have several inputfields and check if the are valid or have content.
If an error occurs and the page reloads i simply echo the content of the
fields back into the input fields, viola, wonderful.

BUT if there are " eg. Quotes in those fields they suddenly read \" instead
of " as they should 8(

I guess that the parser is doing something to it there since " is a
sensitive char in php. BUT how can i get the content to be reloaded
correctly into the fields again.

Here an example of how those fields look like

<input type=text name=v_email value="<?php echo($v_email); ?>" size=40>

tried it like this too, no difference:
<input type=text name=v_email value="<?php echo("$v_email"); ?>" size=40>

thx in advance, Jens Nedal

 > Thanks, I know that, but I don't want to type out assignments
 > manually, as my list of my form values will grow. However, I solved
 > very simply like this:

 > $form_val_list =
 >"firstname,lastname,address,address2,city,state,zip,phone,email,resume";
 > $form_arr = explode (",", $form_val_list);

 > while (list ($key, $val) = each ($form_arr)) {
 >   $new_arr[ $val] = "some test value";
 > }

If you're not bothered about the initial values in the hash, you
can do it with array_flip() like this:

<?php
  $fields = explode( ',', 'firstname,lastname,city,state,phone' );
  $form   = array_flip( $fields );
?>

You'll end up with a hash like this:

  $form = array(
                 'firstname' => 0,
                 'lastname'  => 1,
                 'city'      => 2,
                 'state'     => 3,
                 'phone'     => 4
               );

--
Robin Vickery...............................................
Planet-Three,  3A West Point, Warple Way, London, W3 0RG, UK

I cannot find out how I can manually close a persistent
Postgres Database Connection that has been established by
pg_pconnect.
I believe pg_close only closes non-persistent connections.

Does anyone know how to do this?

"Kubol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> hello
>
> if this is really a silly problem dont blame me, i'm a newbie in php (but i'm
experienced in c++ a bit :-)
> well, imagine i want to write a content of some text file word by word.
example will be more understandable
> than my english:
> let file.txt consists:
> lenin lives
> forever
> i want my php script to write to the screen:
> lenin
> lives
> forever
> I tried to manage this using fscanf function. i expected it works same as in
c, but it looks it doesnt. consider
> the code:
> while (fscanf($file,"%s",$buffer)==1)
> {
> echo $buffer,"<br>";
> }
> the result:
> lenin
> forever
> just like fscanf moved the file pointer to the next line after reading
"lenin". i dont know whats up... why "lives"
> disappeared??? i know i can try using fgets and then split the string, but i
want to know why fscanf doesnt
> work... :-)
> could anyone explain me this phenomena?

I think fscanf() is line oriented in C, isn't it? (I haven't used fscanf() for a
long time, I'm not 100% sure w/o reference.)
"%s" format in fscanf() and sscanf() will macthes sequecne of non-white-space
charactors in C and PHP.
Your $buffer should only have "lenin".

So if you write like

while (fscanf($file,"%s %s",$buf1,buf2))

You should get "lives" in $buf2.

Regards,
Yasuo Ohgaki

> best regards,
> jakub zytka

Hi there,
Firstly a big thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of 'PHP-fast and
easy web development'. it was/is a great book, and I have learnt loads on the
past week.

Anyhoo...

I have a php page and included the line:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $table_name
     WHERE member = \"$member\" AND pw = \"$pw\"
     ";

Now I have a third column called 'userlevel'.

I have a cookie that activates on successfully matching the member and pw fields
from a form on the previous page. make sense?

How can I tell the page to use the userlevel colunm too?

Here is the relevent section to my code... can anyone point me in teh rigth
direction please???

============================

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $table_name
     WHERE member = \"$member\" AND pw = \"$pw\"
     ";

$result = mysql_query($sql)
        or die ("Can't execute query.");

$num = mysql_numrows($result);

if (($num != 0) && ($userlevel == 1)) {

$cookie_name = "auth";
$cookie_value = "ok";
$cookie_expire = "";
$cookie_domain ="";
setcookie($cookie_name, $cookie_value, $cookie_expire, "/", $cookie_domain, 0);

$display_block ="

<UL>
     <LI><a href=\"secreta.php\">secret page a</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretb.php\">secret page b</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretc.php\">secret page c</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secretd.php\">secret page d</A>
     <LI><a href=\"secreteb.php\">secret page e</A>
</UL>
";

} else {

     header("Location: http://www.mypage.com");
     exit;
}

=================

Thanks guys...
Tris...

the system manager.

if you want this to happen in the browser you have to have all the info sent
with the page. I would do this with invisible DIV's which you can make
visible or invisible in Javascript. I usually do something like
obj.style.display = "" to show and obj.style.display = "none" to hide.

if you want to get from the database every time you have to resubmit, which
is slower and looks crap.

> //here is the if statement
>  if ($boo == '1') {
> echo "<td width=\"350\" align=\"left\"><input type=\"text\"
> name=\"description\" onChange=\"javascript:
> document.write(dsc)\"></td>"; }

if you want $dsc to be available to the javascript you have to send it with
the html, either as a hidden field or in the query string. In this case what
you may be wanting to do is send the contects of $dsc in which case replace
document.write(dsc) with document.write('" . $dsc . "')") or however you
like to do this sort of concatenation.

> where $dsc is set equal to an array element read in from a database in
> the php code.  Now I KNOW I have got things MAJORLY confused
> here - but
> the more I read the more wrapped up I seem to get so if there a way to
> pull this off and someone knows - I would appreciate your help
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicole
>
> --
> ########################
> Nicole Lallande
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 760.753.6766
> ########################

it's hard to tell precisely what you want to do form your snippets, but I
hope I've been of some help.

        Tim Ward
        Senior Systems Engineer

Please refer to the following disclaimer in respect of this message:
http://www.stivesdirect.com/e-mail-disclaimer.html

How i can get further information about the installation of MCAL extension
in a Solaris 2.7 environment?

          Roberto Celestino
Universidad Nacional de la Matanza