Mike Morton napsal(a):

> Why is it too serious a problem? E-Commerce sites are written in PHP -
> there is not a big difference except that the POS system does not even
> necessarily have to be online! I think that is a bit of a short sighted
> view don't you?
> Just because you have not seen it done does not mean that it > > > cannot/has not been done...
>
>I don't mean to be a prick about it -it is just that there really is no
>reason that it could not be done in php. It is not a difficult system
> to do.....

> > Hi,

- Of course, it can be done, but will U find someone, who will ever use it? I've worked in a company which has about 170 supermarkets and small food stores and there we had a "war" with our POS software supplier , so I think, I can tell "I know something about it" It is much more complext then it seems to be. E-Commerce is about sitting at home and clicking mouse, shop assistants has much more stress then a person clicking through e-shop
- using php/web based interface can be BIG problem due to nature of the browser.
- POS is "live" system in opposition to the e-commerce which is only viewing stock and sending orders.
- POS must be as simple and "stupidity proof" as possible, the other thing is mouse, POS must be controlled via keyboard.
And AFAIK all POS systems, which were written under Windows had no succes because of the user interface. So I'm for 5 years out of this branche but as I can see in supermarkets, there are still good old MSDOS applications.
My point of view has not much to do with PHP but with user interface, In php can be done very interesting things, I agree, for example I've written daemon using pure PHP, and it runs for 170 days continuously and sending e-mails from our site.

> On 7/16/03 8:25 AM, "Mirek Novak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Angelo Zanetti napsal(a):
>>

>>> Anyone know where I can download a demo point-of-sale program from?
>>> preferably written in php and preferably a point-of-sale designed for
>>> restaurants? any links etc will be great
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Angelo

-- Mirek Novak Anima Publishers, s.r.o. Prilucka 360, Zlin 760 01 Czech Republic

tel/fax: +420577219132
GSM:+420603807837

jabberID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 119499448