From: Justin French [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 23, 2003 10:52 PM
To: Curt Zirzow
Cc: PHP
Subject: Re: [PHP] I'm really getting annoyed with PHP

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 12:18  PM, Curt Zirzow wrote:

> And in my case I would never see the next page. I have javascript
> turned
> off.
>
> Never rely on javascript to do the work, excpecially in small cases
> like
> this when php can handle it without any issues, such as javascript
> being
> turned off.

To follow on from this, the W3 accessibility guidelines
(http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/checkpoint-list.html) state:

---
6.3  Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
programmatic objects are turned off or not supported.  If this is not
possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
page. [Priority 1]

For example, ensure that links that trigger scripts work when scripts
are turned off or not supported (e.g., do not use "javascript:" as the
link target). If it is not possible to make the page usable without
scripts, provide a text equivalent with the NOSCRIPT element, or use a
server-side script instead of a client-side script, or provide an
alternative accessible page as per checkpoint 11.4. Refer also to
guideline 1.
---

In short, do as much as you can server side (PHP), and ensure the page
doesn't break without JS.  Then use JS on the client side IF YOU MUST
to enhance the experience for those with it switched on.

Yes, it's more work, and yes this is optional (but be aware that SOCOG
(Sydney Olympics) were sued for having an inaccessible site, so it's
only a matter of time before we have huge class action everywhere :)),
and yes you'll reach a greater market share with an accessible page.

Sorry for getting OT

Justin