$color = "<script><!--
  document.write(screen.colorDepth)
  //-->
  </script>";

  $query = mysql_query("select id from color where color = '$color' ");
 $a = mysql_num_rows($query);

Actually, what you want to do is possible, but difficult.

If you are willing to tolerate a page refresh, you can use this code to implement this function:

//header
<?php
if (empty($_GET['color'])){
?>
<form name=aform action=<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?> method=get>
<input type=hidden name=color>
</form>
<?php
exit();
} // if
else{
$color = $_GET['color'];
$query = mysql_query("select id from color where color = '$color' ");
$a = mysql_num_rows($query);
<?php
?>
} // else

// rest of page

I'm not sure that this particular script will work, but I think that this method is the best way to have javascript send things to php.

Hope this helps,
Grant