No, it isn't.  A true 2-dimensional array is completely orthogonal -- anything you can
do row-wise you can automatically also do column-wise, without having to write any
special functionality.  An array of arrays, by its very nature, doesn't have columns
as such, so if you want to work with, e.g. $arr[*][1] you have to have special
functions to do so.

There are other differences, but in a nutshell that's essentially it.

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]